7| Mark of Tenderness

Aurelia

"You can't be here," I said, my voice hoarse as I tried to swallow down the misery of my thoughts, repeating the same words I had said last night. "You're the reason all of this is happening in the first place, and now the witches are punishing me because I—"

I stopped myself, shaking my head and taking a deep breath.

The torment I was feeling wasn't his problem. He didn't need to know about the despair that was churning inside of me. Neither did he need to know about the comfort I found in the softness of his presence, and that I let the terror of it wrap around me like barbed wire.

He was like a sweet tasting poison, his scent infiltrating my every sense—and it anchored itself deep into my bones, pulsing through my bloodstream until all I was consumed by was the thought of him.

It was a feeling so primal and so immensely wrong—even still, I couldn't stop myself from clutching onto it.

"I don't want you here. Please, I need you to leave me alone." I reiterated, refusing to look up at him even as every fibre of my being wanted to do just that.

I had already spent too much time fantasizing about having him all to myself, and now that my feelings were more fragile than they had been yesterday—I knew that if he continued to pretend to care about my wellbeing, that I wouldn't be able to stop myself from being so desperately stupid.

Instead, I turned my attention to the things I had set down at my side, using them to distract me. I rearranged the fruit I had managed to collect—some had fallen in my bid to get away from the dining hall, but most of it was strewn haphazardly on my ceremonial plate. I picked up my paring knife to begin cutting through it all, but in my bid to ignore the alpha that was merely a few metres away from me now, I had also forgotten about my injuries.

As my palm clutched around the wooden handle of the knife, I hissed through my teeth before my grip loosened and the blade clattered against my plate again.

"You are hurt, and you are crying." He stated with more emphasis this time, his tone lowering a few octaves as it wrapped around a furious sounding growl.

My hands shook as I wondered what to do, but like all Alphas—this one seemed to have a problem being told what to do.

He moved faster than my broken brain could process, and even as I tried to ignore him—I knew it would be useless.

The leaves crunched under his feet as he moved towards me, my heart beating out of rhythm as I felt his towering form shadowing over mine. The air around us seemed to still as he waited expectantly for me to acknowledge him, but I didn't have the strength to deal with him again especially if this would lead to anything remotely similar to what had happened between us last night.

"Little moon." He said softly, "Look at me," His words tugged at my heartstrings, my conviction falling into ruins as my refusal to look at him only managed to spur him further.

His hand was on my face before I could stop him, the electric shocks sparking against the joining of our skin as he grabbed onto my chin. His forefinger and thumb pressing against my jaw as he yanked my head to its rightful position, my breath catching in my throat as I stared up at him—in shock and in awe.

My eyes widened as I took in the fierce look on his face, this time his sharp features highlighted by the light of the sun instead of the moon.

"When I speak to you, I'd much prefer it if you were looking at me," he tilted my head further as I swallowed against the sudden dryness in my throat. "Do you understand?" I blinked up at him in astonishment, my gaze grasping onto every part of him that I missed last night, drinking him in like he was the last drop of water on this earth.