Chapter 12

Emma's POV

Another day we are stuck in Father's study listening to the older men argue and get absolutely no where. Another day stuck with Killian avoiding me. When he isn't avoiding me he glares at me. I can't decide which is worse. Either way I don't want to be here. Logan leans over to say something.

"You alright? You look miserable," he comments.

"Yeah, I'm going to go get some air," I whisper and stand up. Silently I walk out of the room. The cold air nips at my ankles outside. I don't mind it it wakes me up a little. I walk out to my tree.

"Princess," I hear the Irish accent fill the cool afternoon air. I turn around and find Killian stand there. He hands stuffed in his pockets, the top button of his white shirt left open. How does he always look so good? "Killian, what are you doing?" I ask. Why the hell is he talking to me? I thought he was staying away.

"Well right now I'm standing here talking to you," he comments with a grin. He looks amused with himself.

"I thought I told you to stay away," I say with arms crossed.

"I was going to, but look I realized that what you told me wasn't you trying to hurt. It was a warning and I just wanted to thank you is all," he says.

"Your welcome," I say stiffly and walk back towards the study.

Killian's POV

I am most rudely woken up by Nora bounding into my room. She flings open my curtains. I use the blanket to cover my head.

"Wake up its a beautiful day out. A beautiful day for a beautiful birthday," she muses. I groan and roll over. Today is my birthday, my eighteenth to be exact. Which is rather a big deal in my family. It signifies ones coming of age and officially joining the family business. For the past year I've been "sitting in" on meetings attempting to learn the family business. Truth is I know Liam will always lead my family he is next in line and has more ambition than I do. It's not that I don't care I just don't want to lead us. I will follow any order given I just won't give them.

Nora walks over and pulls the blanket down so she can see my face and in an attempt to wake me up.

"Get up mom made your favorite breakfast," she bribes. With this I sit up straight and practically hop out of bed. I pull on a robe and we head downstairs. We sit down at the table.

"My boy you've finally woken up," Mom says with a smile. Father walks in and places his hands on my shoulders.

"Charlotte, our boy is now a man," he gives my shoulders a squeeze and sits down. We enjoy a breakfast of waffles, bacon, and eggs. Mom makes the best waffles, but only makes them for special occasions. There is laughter and chatter at the table. For the first time in weeks I am having a good time with my family.

"Killian, are you excited for your party tonight?" Liam asks.

"Of course I am. What kind of question is that?" I chuckle at his stupid question.

"We spared no expense for it so I hope so," Mom smiles.

"I even invited the Nolan's," Father casually comments. The whole table goes quiet. Emma. That's all I can think about. Seeing her tonight all dolled up for a party.

"You did?" Liam asks shocked. I don't why he would invite them, not that I mind it gives me a chance to see her. Birthdays are a family tradition we only have our closest friends attend. Its just odd for Father to break from tradition.

"Of course it was a sign of good faith," he continues on eating breakfast.

"But-" Liam begins only to be cut off by Father.

"No buts Liam. We continue this conversation later. Now finish the breakfast your mother made for you," he orders. Liam scowls and stays silent the rest of breakfast.

The party begins after we have dinner that night. Liam and the boys drag me along a just keep handing me drink after drink. Not that I am complaining, it's great.

At some point the Nolan's arrive but I don't spot Emma. Her asshole of a brother is here but she isn't. She must have stayed home and with that I down the last of the cool drink in my hand. The night goes on and there is everyone we know in our house. There is music and dancing. I dance with several young ladies, but none of them are Emma. She's the only one I want here tonight.

Eventually the house begins to empty and I begin to stumble upstairs to my room.

"Killian," Liam shouts to grab my attention. I turn and face him.

"What Liam? I'm tired and I would like to go to bed," I respond. He walks up to me.

"Oh you're not done for tonight, come on you're wanted in the study," he claps a hand on my shoulder and we both head back down stairs. In the study we find Father sitting behind his desk. I stand stiffly in front of him and Liam just sits down. What's going on?

"My two boys. Killian sit," he orders. I sit down in one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"I feel like I'm in trouble what's going on?" I ask uneasy. They both chuckle.

"Don't worry brother," Liam reassures.

"You're not in trouble my boy. No what we are doing here is bringing you into the family business. Bringing you into the loop, so to say." Father explains. I straighten up at this. I thought I knew everything. What on God's green earth do I need to be brought in the loop about? "Alright I am listening," I say firmly.

"Good. Now I know I have left you with a loose leach this past year, but no more of that. You need to be in meetings and I didn't raise stupid boys so some participation is required. Now that you know what the expectations are, we can tell you everything," Father says and then signals Liam.

"Since the truce started we have noticed that the Nolan's have increased their patrols. Also they tend to cross over into our territory more than they should. We don't want to start anything, but..." Liam trails off.

"But what?" I ask curious as to what we are planning to do.

"But if we find another one of their men in out territory again we will have to take action," Father says. Take action as in kill one of them. Emma often wanders into our territory. She can't do that anymore I know she wouldn't be hurt because she is a lady, but still it's not worth the chance. I nod.

"Alright I understand. In the mean time what are we trying to get in negotiations?" I ask.

"We want to keep what we have and gain some as well, but that is increasingly becoming more difficult with David. We are giving up what's ours," Father says, " I think that's enough for tonight. Report here in the morning." I nod. I slowly walk out trying absorb everything I've just learned. I need to warn Emma she just how unsafe it is. What could happen to her if she does I stray to our territory. What could happen to her brother if he does. Even if he's an asshole he doesn't deserve death. I can't sleep knowing what I do. I need to find her. To tell her what danger she's in.

Ahh what will happen next?!?!? As always please comment and vote. xoxoxox