Chapter 1

The pages of my book turn as I sit on my bed in my room. There is a lot of commotion going on downstairs and I came up here to get away from it all. The commotion is for my big brother, Logan, tonight he comes home from war in one piece and there is going to be a party in his honor. My family loves to throw parties and there hasn’t been one since Logan left. While he was away mother seems to have aged five years due to worry. Every night at dinner she made father add Logan’s well being into grace. She also prayed for him every night before bed. Its not that she thought he couldn’t take care of himself, we all know he could, she just worries because Logan is her only son. Not that I blame her. Shouting breaks my train of thought.

“Emma! Emma! I need you down here this instant. Don’t make me get your father to come and drag you,” mother shouts at the top of her lungs. So much for hiding up here. I set my book down and stand in front of the mirror. I give a twirl in my red polka dot dress, this should due for tonight.

I head downstairs and find Mother waiting impatiently at the bottom of the stairs. My mother is in her late thirties with shoulder length black hair that is curled at the ends. She is slender and shows slight signs of aging around her eyes. She is wearing a sky blue knee length dress with her white apron tied around her waist.

“I need help in the kitchen, so lets get moving young lady,” she orders as she turns on her heel. I obediently follow her into our kitchen.  Aunt Jackie is in the kitchen when we walk in. Aunt Jackie is around the same age of Mother, I think we don’t really know because she lies about her age constantly. She has long auburn hair that is currently pinned back in a bun today. She has on a baby pink a-line knee length dress. Aunt Jackie is working on making pasta for what looks like lasagna. Not surprising because its Logan favorite. I know I should be more happy for him to be coming home, but I just have a weird feeling about today. Something isn’t right and I cannot quite put my finger on it. I am happy he is coming home though, he is my best friend next to Belle.

“Emma, you are chopping vegetables for the sauce. Everything is set up for you right there,” she points to the cutting board next to the sink. I walk on over and begin chopping. Mom and Aunt Jackie talk while they work while I stay silent.

“Emma, darling you are so quiet today. What’s wrong?” Aunt Jackie asks concerned.

“I am sorry. I am caught up in this book from school. Its very interesting,” I lie. I don’t feel comfortable confiding my suspicions to Aunt Jackie or Mother. They would scold me about not being happy for my brother and tell me how foolish I am.

“What’s it about?” Mother asks.

“Oh, its called the Jungle, its about what used to go into our meat and how bad the meat packing industry used to be,” I say. Its not a total lie. We are reading that book in school and it is interesting.

“Oh that sounds terrible,” Mother says disgusted, “Sometimes I do not understand you my angel.” She sighs. I bring over all the vegetables and begin to make the sauce.

A few minutes later Father enters the kitchen with his twin, my uncle James and my cousins, Tommy and Paul.

“How is dinner coming along ladies?” Father asks as he kisses my mother on the cheek. She smiles.

“Wonderfully. We should be ready by the time you boys come back,” she answer not once taking her eyes off the task at hand. Tommy comes over to me and inspects the sauce.

“Looking good Em. You ready for Logan to be home as much as I am?” he asks quietly. I nod.

“What you cannot handle the pressure of being next to be head of the family?” I tease.

“Hell no. You know what I like to do and it has nothing to do with responsibility,” he winks and I giggle. Tommy likes to party and has never been one to follow the rules. It drives Logan crazy.

“You’ll be careful? I do not like you going to the north side.” Mother says for what seems like the hundredth time.

“I called the Jones’ today. One of their boys is coming home as well don’t worry. Nothing will happen,” he reassures Mother. Oh have I not mentioned what my whole family does for a living? Father is the head one of the leading crime families in Boston. North side isn’t really our territory. We keep to the south. They all say goodbye and head out the door. I can tell my mother is still worried.

“Mother, everything will be fine. Father has taken care of it,” I say knowing she never doubts his abilities.

“Oh I know, but still a mother worries,” she sighs. We put the lasagna in the oven along with some homemade bread. I prepare a quick salad and help Mother set the table. About twenty minutes later we take out the lasagna. The boys arrive home a few minutes later. When Mother sees Logan she practically tackles him to the ground.

“Oh you’re safe and sound. I’m so glad you’re home,” She cheers while gripping him tightly. Logan is the spitting image of Father only with lighter blond hair and just a couple inches shorter than Father. I run into his arms as soon as Mother lets him go. He picks me up and spins me in a circle.

“How’s my little sister doing?” he says as he sets me down.

“I am fine. How’s my big, strong Nazi fighting brother doing?” I ask with a smile.

“Just fine, sure ready for a home cooked meal though,” he smiles and pats my back. Mother guides him to the table, and Aunt Jackie and I gather the food and bring it to the table. We pass all the food around and grab what we want. I claim the seat next to Logan and Tommy sits on the other side of him. I eat and occasionally contribute to the conversation. Right before dessert Logan turns to me.

“What’s going on? You’re quiet, never a day in our life have you been quiet,” he asks.

“I have a funny feeling about tonight I can’t explain it. Just ignore me,” I comment.

“No you’re usually right about these kind of things. We’ll keep our  eyes open,” he says and we return to the conversation at hand. mother has made her delicious chocolate cake. She hands out a piece to everyone. Before we begin Father stands and holds his glass.

“I have a little announcement to make now that Logan is home,” He raises his glass to Logan. Logan and I share a look.

“As you all know, we have been feuding with the Jones’ for a long time. A few have died on both sides and Michael and I want to end that. We are calling a truce and are going to redraw the territory lines to make sure we clearly know where we stand. I estimate that this will take a few weeks, so we shall be seeing a lot of them. Please get along with them. To good health and Logan,” he cheers. We all raise our glasses and take a drink.

“What the hell has been going on while I’ve been away? Has he lost his mind?” Logan whispers to me.

“I do not know, but I told you so,” I whisper back.

“Do you two wish to share what you’re talking about?” Father asks.

“No, sir,” I respond. Father just nods. Well things are certainly going to get interesting around here.

Ooo here's the start of it. I hope you guys like it! I am so excited for this story. Several things are very different and they are not exactly the same as they are in the show. I know that and its how I want them to be for the story. As always please comment and vote! xoxoxo