Chapter 2

After dinner I help Mother and Aunt Jackie clean up dinner Logan pulls me aside in the hallway.

"Do you really think Father has thought this through. I means its the Jones' we have done nothing besides fought with them," he asks me in a hushed tone.

"Are you really questioning father? I thought he could do no wrong in your eyes," I snort in disbelief.

"That was before. Its different now, I mean he used to consult me on everything that obviously couldn't happen while I was away, but he could've waited for me," he crosses his arms.

"I can't believe you. You're upset because he did this on his own, not because of the situation. How does it feel to not be in father's inner circle?" I ask amused.

"I am still in the inner circle. Its just hard to believe he would actually do this. He hates Michael so much," he explains.

"I know, but its his decision," I say.

"I know. Did you hear about the party?" he asks as he leans against the wall.

"What party?" I ask with my brows furrowed.

"Tomorrow night we have to go to their house for a party to symbolize the truce," he says with no enthusiasm.

"That's corny. Did Uncle James say that because it sounds like something he would say," I comment. He nods and I shake my head.

"I am going to bed I cannot handle this right now," I sigh, "I am glad your home," I pat his shoulder.

"Me too. Now go to bed," he sends me off. I walk up the stairs to my room.

The next night

What to wear? Why should I care? Its not like I care what these people think of me, but I don't want to embarrass my family. I finally choose my new navy blue dress and black kitten heels. I head downstairs finally ready and Father and Logan are in the front hall ready to go.

"Where's Mother?" I ask surprised. Father shrugs.

"Still getting ready apparently. We are going to be late if she doesn't hurry up though," he yells the last part in an attempt to hurry her along. Logan looks at his watch and taps his foot impatiently. The door opens and Aunt Jackie, Uncle James, and the cousins walk in. Aunt Jackie looks around then frowns.

"Where's Mary Margaret?" she asks.

"Still getting ready," I sigh.

"Oh no we are leaving, now. Give me a couple minutes," she marches up stairs. We hear some chatter, some silence, then a door slams. They come down the stairs. Mother looks as beautiful as ever.

"Alright, lets go," Father announces. We all grab our coats and pile into the cars. We all manage to fit into two cars. Father drives off to the north side. For the longest time Chinatown was the dividing line between the two family's territories. The whole reason the lines need to be redrawn is the fact that Chinatown has shrunk in the past couple years and there is new land up for grabs. I stiffen when pass into their territory. As children we were always taught to stay close to home and away from the north side. Logan places a hand on my knee.

"Are you alright, sis?" he asks concerned.

"Yeah, its just weird being on this side of town you know?" I ask and he nods. Dad pulls up the car in front a grand, old house with a gate that guards the drive up to the front doors. A few men stand inside of the gate, one man returns into the house, a few minutes later a man around Father's age, tall with dark hair steps out of the house and nods. The gate swings open and our two cars pull into their drive. The gate swings shut behind us and is promptly locked.