Chapter 5

I find Belle at lunch that day.I set my tray next to hers. She looks upset and worried.

“Oh my goodness. You’re alright. I wanted to call last night to make sure you got home okay, but I also didn’t want to get you in trouble I mean that was bad last night. I mean you saw that brawl,” she rambles on.

“Well if you hadn’t ditched me that night you would’ve known I got home safely,” I say bitterly.

“Oh come on. I am sorry, but we left in a hurry because we didn’t want to get caught. Don’t get all huffy on me anyway I saw you talking to some guy at the bar,” she says and I blush, “Emma Nolan did you go home with him last night?” She smiles at me

“No, it was just Killian. I drank a little too much and he took me home,” I say.

“Oh that’s nice of him, but was he mad you were on the wrong side,” she asks in hushed tones.

“A little, but not exactly. He was actually kinda sweet when he took me home. But now I have a problem at home,” I sigh. I proceed to tell her everything about what Father told me to do before school.

“Oh my. What are you going to do? Are you going to try and spy on Killian? I mean after last night he is your best shot,” she shrugs.

“I think you’re right, but it feels wrong after he was so nice to me and everything last night. I feels like I am stabbing him in the back,” I say as I play with my food not entirely hungry.

“I understand that, but also he is the enemy of your family,” she reminds me.

“I know. I don’t really have another choice do I?” I ask her and she shakes her head. The bell rings and lunch is over. Oh boy this is going to be a long day.

That day after school I head straight to the study. After thinking about it all day I think i know how to get close to Killian. I knock and enter slowly. Father, Uncle James, Logan, and Tommy are the only ones in the study. I wait patiently, unsure if I should move forward or not.

“Emma, how was school?” Father asks And I take that as my cue to move forward to his desk. They are all huddled around Father’s desk. I take the last chair in front of his desk.

“Oh the usual,” I smile.

“Father says that you agreed to spy on the Jones,” Logan questions.

“Of course anything I can do to help,” I say. We all know that I had no choice, so why is he questioning me?

“Do you have a plan?” Tommy asks, curiosity written all over smug his face.

“I do,” I nod and they all stare at me waiting for an answer, “Oh no, the less you guys know the better. When I have information you guys will know.” They accept this.

“Alright. Well they should be returning soon. What are we going to ask for today?” Uncle James asks.

“I was thinking about asking for eighteenth avenue,” Father sighs.

“Will he ever go for that? It seems like a lot to ask for,” Logan says.

“No he will never go for that. I don’t want eighteenth anyway. I just want him to think that is what I want. He’ll give me less than what he thinks I want, which is what I actually want,” Father explains carefully. We all nod and agree.

About ten minutes later all of the Jones men file in. There is no small talk exchanged and none of them dare to question my presence in the room. When Killian walks in our eyes meet. He smirks and I blush. Father dives right into the meeting and they commence the argument about boundary lines. This goes on for about two hours. Several times I catch Killian staring at me. He acts like I have not caught him looking. The meeting continues on and then the shouting starts. Next time I catch Killian glancing at me I raise my eyebrows. He turns away quickly. Unable to stand the yelling anymore I leave. I walk slowly out to my tree in the garden. I wait for Killian, hopefully he follows. A wait for a few minutes and watch the beautiful sunset.