Better me than her!

The Impala had Scarlett's bags packed in the trunk and they were back at the glass house before Edward and Bella. Scarlett was pacing back and forth in the living room hoping and praying that they didn't find trouble getting back here. Her arms were crossed over her chest, holding herself together. Brian was so sweet. So, understanding. She hated that she had to use her momma as a means to get out of there, but Jasper was right. James had shown and he had followed them away from the house which meant that for now Brian was safe and that was more important to her than anything else.

Scarlett was a liar now, she told Brian that Bella and Edward had a fight, and they broke up. She lied and said that Bella was dead set on leaving and driving back home and Scarlett was worried. Worried because it was dark, and Bella was crying and all she could think about was Bella ending up dead with her truck in a ditch and then she had started crying. Crying because she said Bella was going to be like Momma all over again. The tears were the only real thing she showed in that kitchen. The tears and the fear. He hugged her tight. She almost didn't want to let go. Said as long as she texted and updated him on the drive, she could go but to try to convince Bella to pull over and stay at a hotel. He had even given her his credit card.

Scarlett felt awful. Lying was like poison. Her stomach was in knots, and she felt horrible for doing this to him because he was going to be up all hours of the night. Waiting for text and calls to make sure she was safe. She didn't deserve him. "You're going to give yourself a panic attack." He pulled her arms away from her chest and instead wrapped them around his body. Calm, it chipped away at the panic, and she could breathe again. "That's better." Jasper whispered, one of his hands embedded in her hair. His fingers rubbed small circles on her scalp.

Blinking back tears, her gaze drifts through to the window, where deep crimson eyes stare back at her. She screamed before she could stop herself. Carlisle and Rose were in the room in seconds and Jasper was shoving Scarlett behind him as Laurent stepped into the light on the porch with his hands up in surrender. Brianna a hairline behind him. "I've come to advise you about James. Nothing more." The two men looked at each other for a moment and Carlisle nodded slowly. "Alright." He moved to open the sliding door and the nomads stepped in. Careful not to make any sudden moves, eyes seeming to linger on Jasper for signs that he might strike.

Bella, Edward, Alice and Emmett came through the front door and the latter got into crouching defensive positions at the sight of the two red eyed vampires. "They came to warn us about James." Carlisle's words seem to placate everyone to a certain degree but there was still a certain edge, everyone just waiting for something else to go wrong. The nomad looked at Bella and shook his head in bewilderment. "James was certain there was another. Seems he was right."

"Victoria was skulking around Bella's house when we were there." Edward snapped. "James at Scarlett's." Jasper added. Emmett moved till he was close enough to Scarlett that he could brush against her. He listened to his orders, to help Edward with Bella but his mind was worried about his best friend, leaving Jasper to protect her himself. 

"I've grown tired of his games, but he's got unparalleled senses. Absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like him in my three hundred years ... and the woman Victoria will back him. Do not underestimate her." Carlisle thanked Laurent for the information and Scarlett wasn't sure she was as grateful because now she was even more unnerved. Her eyes locked onto red ones, that for a moment looked sorrowful. "I'm truly sorry for what's been unleashed here." Then he was gone, just as quickly as he came.

Brianna still lingered on the threshold of the doorway, like she was hesitant to say something else. "I want to help –" She started eyes flickering up and when Scarlett tracked her gaze it was directed to Alice. "I really do but James changed me. He will hunt until he gets what he wants, or he dies. No middle ground." She moved to look at Scarlett, a look of forewarn flickering across her features before they went cold again. "He'll play with you, when he's bored, he will drain you. If you entertain him enough with a fight, he'll change you." Her gaze turned hard, and Scarlett trembled from the weight of it. "James fancies fiery pets."