Bella goes Down; Honk Honk

It seemed Forks didn't like to follow the rules of the season. When it should have been Fall, a cold front swept in making everything even more dreary, if that were possible and a hell of a lot more icy. Scarlett was sure that she had to hang up her bike helmet for the season and for now Bella had offered to give her rides to school since she had to pass Scarlett's house to get there anyways. 

It was a win-win because she didn't have to worry about figuring out the car situation with Brian, whose business at Paper & Cup was booming and he was more times than not out of the house before Scarlett was even up to get ready. 

"Nice wheels." Scarlett said getting in the passenger side of the truck. Bella waited till the girl's seat belt was on before she pulled back onto the road, "Charlie just put on some chains. For the ice." The heat was pumping out of the vents but Scarlett was having a hard time shaking the cold from her fingers. "Missing home I bet." Bella said in a way that made Scarlett think she too was missing home, at least the weather. 

"I miss the sun and the seasons." 

"You don't have to tell me, it's too soon for winter." Scarlett had to agree but something about the cold, wet town was starting to feel more like home each and every day. "You're stewing. What's up?" They hadn't been friends long but there was something about Bella that allowed Scarlett to read her like an open book. Something in her eyes, the heavy sigh coming from the driver confirmed it. 

"It's just Edward." She paused knowing the man was on her friends 'turd' list. "What did he do now?" She asked, wondering if she was going to have to peg him with a snowball for whatever it was he had done this time to Bella. "It's – He didn't do anything. Not really." There was a pause and Scarlett knew to wait it out. Bella liked to piece together her words before she said them. "One minute we are working together in Bio. Actually being civilized and the next he's getting all moody and brushing me off. I just don't understand it." 

This had been something on going since Edward decided to show face and no matter what Scarlett had said, Emmett and even Jasper were sticking with the story that he was sick and then visiting some family in Alaska. It didn't feel to her like an outright lie but it wasn't a full truth either. Scarlett didn't care one way or the other but Bella cared and to some extent she was trying to placate her friend's worry. 

"Maybe his health issues make him moody. Just don't let him walk all over you." Bella nodded but something told Scarlett her friend might let the man get away with freaking murder. She was smitten even if she didn't want to admit it. 

They pulled into the parking lot and Bella had to take a different spot. With the ice on the road they had pulled in later than usual but they still had time to hang about the truck. A morning ritual that Scarlett enjoyed and would continue to do as long as the weather allowed.

Carefully making her way around to Bella's side without slipping she looked up to see her staring across the lot. Following her line of sight she saw the Cullen's pulling in and getting out of their respective cars. Edward was clearly looking for Bella amongst the crowds. Didn't have to be a genius to see that one. She was about to say something witty that would probably earn her a smack from her friend but her eyes caught Jasper, and the small smile he sent her way sent an eruption of giddiness in her. 

"What's that all about?" Bella said, her voice smug at the idea that she just was now catching an important piece of information. Rolling her eyes she turned back toward Bella. "I don't know wh–" Her shoulders tensed at the sound of skidding tires. Bella's eyes opened wide, like a deer caught in the middle of the road. Time slowed as Scarlett blinked, catching the blue van coming right toward them and her momma's face flashed before her eyes. The sound of metal on metal. Glass shattering. The memories she worked so hard to overcome on the very surface of her mind. She couldn't escape them.