Chapter 26

A week ago...

'She is late again, sigh... that sleepy head', Eunhyuk thought as he stretched to warm up before his practice. It was not like he was on time today, he had been half an hour late from his usual 8 am, but he still had hoped that Seoyeon would be there.

He had become good friends with her to the extent that sometimes he felt they were more than just friends

He had become good friends with her to the extent that sometimes he felt they were more than just friends. He looked forward to meeting her and spending time with her every day. He missed her whenever she wasn't around. He used to bring her coffee or food on the days she was busy so she didn't stay hungry and lethargic. When she goofed up in class, it always brought a smile to his face because she would try again with a lot of effort. He could see the child's innocence and the determination of a strong woman in her. Her genuineness, authenticity and soft and caring nature that he had come to see were drawing him in steadily. Her presence had given him a grounded space, and he loved every bit of it.

"What are you thinking about?" he heard a voice he didn't want to hear. He turned to the source, "What are you doing here?" Jieun was standing at the practice room door and had started taking steps towards him. "Wanted to see you. I have been meaning to talk to you." Eunhyuk was not pleased with her company. "Tell me." "Hyukaa, could you please be a little gentle? I have been having a very hard time without you." Jieun stopped in front of him. He was staring at the floor to keep his mind neutral as she spoke. "I have missed you every single day Hyukaa. I have been trying to reach you, but you have blocked me from everywhere. Do I mean nothing to you?" She took a step forward. "Do you not miss me? Do you not miss the closeness that you and I have had?" She took Eunhyuk's hand in hers. He looked at her face, unsure where she was going with her words. "Do you not miss this?" Before he could realise it, she was kissing him. He softly kissed her back, but then the kiss ended, and he whispered. "This is the final goodbye kiss I could give you, Jieun. We are over. I think I love someone else."

After saying what he wanted to say, he turned, but who he saw was not someone he wanted to witness what had happened. "Seoyeonaa," he said. He didn't know what she had seen or understood, but she was not the person he had wanted to witness that. She called him 'Eunhyuk' - he got uneasy. He tried to get her alone to explain, but she declined. "Oh, Eunhyuk?" She turned to look at him. "Yeah?" "Remember to remove the lipstick from your lips when you come to the desk." His heart stopped. He knew he had to explain and talk to her, but she had left.

He turned to Jieun. "Jieun, please leave." "Only if you promise me to meet this weekend." "Fine, for now, please go. I have to be somewhere else." He hurriedly changed his clothes, packed up everything, and started looking for her. It had already been half an hour since she had gone, and he had looked everywhere for her. After searching for another half an hour, he finally made it to the rooftop, where she was standing with Renee. "Seoyeonaa? Are you here?" he deliberately gave them a heads-up of his presence. He could see Seoyeon turn around and come back into view with puffy eyes. 'This is not good,' he thought. He tried to get her alone to talk to her, but this time it was Renee who didn't let them. He was disappointed, but he decided to pursue talking another time.

Today...

Jieun had asked him to meet at a cafe one last time, and he, being the nice person he is, could not return his word. So, he went to meet her. Since he broke up, he felt that this was the least he could do to help her move on.

He had come to the cafe with just that intent. However, Jieun really frustrated him. She was trying to lure him into getting back with her with sweet talks. The last straw was when she took his hand, looked at him seductively and started caressing it, "Don't you miss my touch, Hyukaa? I could make you feel 'happiness' like no other person on this earth." Eunhyuk used his other hand to free his hand from Jieun's discreetly. "I have said this once nicely, Jieun, and I am repeating this for the last time. We are over, so please stop bothering me. And, please stay away from me." He kept the decency of the public place, but his anger was visible as he got up and left while she was sitting.

He had come to the counter to pay the bill when he saw HER - she was standing next to him. He felt elated seeing her after a week. But then, he observed her - in sweats, no makeup and puffy eyes. He could not control himself. "Oh, Seoyeonaa!" he exclaimed and almost ranted. "Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a week at the office. I texted you, but you didn't respond. I was worried." What she said to him as a response shocked him. "You didn't need to be; I just needed a break." Then, suddenly, the cafe owner interrupted them. ' 'Yeongles'? Did he just call her 'Yeongles'? Who is this person calling her with nicknames and so fondly?' Thoughts were firing in his mind. He couldn't understand what had happened to her. 'Did she just allow the cafe owner to come to her house? Who is this person??' He was in disbelief when she just greeted him and left. He called for her, "Seoyeonaa! Listen!" but she didn't turn.

He was confused about what was going on in his life. Here he was, living peacefully, finding the meaning of being true to yourself, and feeling the affections of someone accepting him as he is. In a week, everything and everyone turned upside down.

He washed up and lay down on his bed in his pyjamas to sleep but instead stared at the ceiling, thinking

He washed up and lay down on his bed in his pyjamas to sleep but instead stared at the ceiling, thinking. 'Why is she ignoring me? I have been trying to talk to her for a week, but she didn't respond. Why is she like this?...' His eyes were fixed on the rotating fan. 'Am I of that little importance to her? What was all that that I felt, then? The closeness, the affection, the intimacy - was I being stupid? ' He sat up and held his head in frustration. 'Jieun has ruined things a LOT for me. I need to set this right,' he thought. 'Tomorrow, I need to talk to her in the office, in class, or at her house. Tomorrow, I will talk to her, come what may.' With a determination for the next day, he decided and lay down on his bed again to sleep.