Chapter 25

It had been a week. Renee was worried for her friend. She was in her hometown, far away from her best friend, and completely helpless.

"You gotta get out of the house, Seoyeonaa. You can't just stay like this. If you just let me, I will book the first flight back."

"No, no, are you mad? I am not dying. Relax."

"You have shut yourself off and are not eating or sleeping properly. How should I relax?"

"Renee, I am just heartbroken. I will get over it, just like everyone else."

"Seoyeonaa, you are not like everyone else. You are soft, caring and emotional, and I know how much you are hurting right now."

Seoyeon's eyes were brimming with tears. She needed her best friend but could not ask her to come. It wasn't right. 'It is the universe's way of telling me to bear the pain alone,' she thought. 'And bear it alone, I shall.'

"Listen, I may not be fine right now, but I will be... It was all one-sided anyway."

"One-sided, my ass! Everyone could sense it between you two ever since he came to the team. He can't just give signals to you like that and then go back to his ex. Such a fuckboy!"

Seoyeon froze. A tear escaped her eyes as she felt her heart crumble again.

"Seoyeonaa? Are you there?"

"Yeah, I am... Renee, let's not talk about him, please?"

"Okay, we won't. I am sorry."

Silence fell on the phone call for a few more seconds. Seoyeon gathered all her spirit and spoke.

"Tell you what, let's make a deal. I will go to the cafe today, get my favourite coffee and food to eat THERE, and will sit there for an hour at least. In return, you will not worry about me and not nag me about what I wear because sure as hell I am wearing sweats."

"Okay, deal. But, I need pics as proof."

" Done. Now go, everyone at home will be worried. I will text you."

"Okay. You take care, okay? Call me anytime you want to talk. I'm here."

"Yes, I know, and I will."

"Good. Bye, sweetie."

"Bye."

Seoyeon hung up and kept the phone by her side on the bed. She gravitated and fell on the bed, and stared at the ceiling. The memory of that day was not leaving her mind. Thoughts swam in her mind like fish in the sea. 'Was it all just in my head? Was he always being his usual self, and I just imagined things? Just something I wanted so bad that I just saw what I wanted to see?' Streams of tears were overflowing from her eyes. She was numb, with the pain of her breaking heart in her chest. Suddenly, the phone rang, delivering a message and startling her. She decided to fulfil her promise to her friend; she got up and changed into a fresh pair of sweats.

About half an hour later, Seoyeon reached the cafe. The cafe was her favourite for multiple reasons. She really loved its theme, its ambience, and the layout. It was not big but still big enough for a small library area for people who wanted to read, a recreation area with a foosball table, darts, pool table and balcony seating if one wished some privacy. The food was classic cafe food, but the cooking was exquisite, in her opinion. Jin Hyung was her favourite cook in the world. She took out her phone, took a selfie and sent it to Renee. With a deep breath, she walked into the cafe.

"Hey Yoongles," she said at the counter to a black-haired guy. He looked at her and greeted her with a smile, "hey, Yeongles." He looked at her face and twitched an eyebrow, "rough days?" "Yeah, you can say that," she said meekly. "Will talk some other time about it. For now, just my usual order. And ask Jin Hyung to add lots of ice cream to my frappe. I will be in the lib." 'Yoongles' gave her a thumbs up, and she went to the library.

She rummaged through the racks, looking for a book to read. There were many good options, but she was not able to decide. She gave up and picked up her favourite book - Wuthering Heights. She settled on a bean bag next to a coffee table in a corner and started reading.

"Yeongles!" Seoyeon looked up from her book at the call and was delighted to see the person in front of her. "Kookie!" she got up and gave the guy a nice bear hug after he had placed her food on the table. "How was the trip?" "Ah, fantastic. France is so beautiful; I can't tell you. I will show you pics later; Yoongi needs me right now." "Done. See ya!" Kookie bid farewell, and Seoyeon went back to reading Wuthering Heights.

The last sip of her frappe, and she was done with food. She checked her watch - it had already been two hours. 'Time really flew by,' she thought as she kept the book back in its place. She decided that it was better to go back home. She got up and went to the counter again. "Yoongi, can you get the bill ready, please?" "Cool." Seoyeon looked around as she waited for the bill, but she froze at her place. Yoongi noticed her and looked in the direction her sight was fixed. He saw a couple sitting and talking at a far-edge table. The girl was holding the guy's hand and lovingly looking at him. He could not identify the guy because his back was towards them, but Seoyeon couldn't miss that person - it was Eunhyuk. "I will be right back," she paced to the restroom, leaving a puzzled Yoongi.

She locked the door behind her, and her dam broke. No sound escaped her, but she could not stop the tears from her eyes. She couldn't control it, and she didn't want to. 'Why did he have to come here, of all places?' 'Why couldn't he just not be around me for some time?' 'Why is this so hard?' 'Why am I getting so affected by him?' 'I need this to stop!' was all she could muster in her mind. Suddenly, she heard a knock at the door. "Excuse me, could you please hurry?" a voice called. "Sorry, one minute, please." Good thing that she wasn't wearing any makeup; she quickly washed her face, gave herself a determined stare in the mirror and went out.

"Sorry for the time, Yoongi. Here." Seoyeon handed Yoongi her card for payment. Then, her heart sank. "Hi, may I have the bill, please?" His voice was right next to her. 

"Oh, Seoyeonaa!" he exclaimed

"Oh, Seoyeonaa!" he exclaimed. Seoyeon was forced to turn and look at him. "Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a week at the office. " Seoyeon didn't say anything but smiled weakly. Eunhyuk continued," I texted you, but you didn't respond. I was worried." "You didn't need to be," she interrupted him while rummaging through her bag, "I just needed a break." "Yeongles, all done!" Yoongi interrupted. Eunhyuk looked at Yoongi with some disapproval. Yoongi, however, didn't care. "Do you want me to get you dinner back? It's on Jin." Seoyeon took out her earbuds from the bag. "Thanks, Yoongles. Tell Hyung I owe him one." Yoongi smiled. "I will see you at night." She looked at Eunhyuk, who was visibly confused. "Bye, Eunhyuk." She put on her earbuds and started walking to the exit. He called for her, "Seoyeonaa! Listen!" but she didn't turn. She couldn't. She couldn't let him see the tears incessantly flowing down her face.

'Goodbye, Hyuk.' she said in her heart with every step she took away from him.