15. Death Takes a Holiday

Start from the beginning

"Locals are saying it's a miracle."

"Okay."

"It's got to be something nasty, right?" Sam guessed. "I mean, people are making deals or something."

Dean considered his words before he asked, "You think?"

"What else would it be?"

Elena shrugged. "I don't know, and clearly Sam doesn't either."

"All right." He put his laptop in his bag. "Get that to go."

Dean looked down and didn't move.

"Come on," Sam and Elena told him.

Sam stood and picked up his bag. Elena grabbed her jacket and bag. Dean didn't move except to chew. Sam looked at him, swinging his bag over his shoulder. "What?"

Dean looked up and kept chewing, then glanced away and back and said, "Sure you want me going with you and Elena?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't want to be holding you back or nothing."

"Dude, I've told you a hundred times, that was the siren talking, not me. Can we get past this?"

Dean put down the burger. "Yeah, we're past it." He brushed off his hands.

JENKINS' HOUSE

The trio were sitting with Jim in the dining room.

"Now, you three said you were bloggers?" Jim asked, sitting across from Sam.

"Yes, sir," Sam replied. "Floored by the Lord dot com."

"All of God's glory fit to blog," Dean added while Elena nodded, attempting to keep a straight face.

Dean grinned and Elena smiled.

Sam glanced at his brother and friend and cleared his throat. "Um. Some of the people around town are saying what happened to you was a miracle."

"It was," Jim answered. "Plain as day."

"How can you be so sure?"

"How else do you explain it? The doctors can't."

"There's a bullet in my heart, and it's pumping like a piston."

"Well, how do you explain it?" Dean questioned.

Jim hesitated and looked at his daughter. "Look, honestly. I was nobody's saint - not exactly father of the year, either."

"Okay."

"But when that guy shot me and I didn't bleed a drop? I just knew the Lord was giving me a second chance."

Elena raised a brow. "Is that so?"

"I had this feeling - like angels were watching over me." Jim paused and Dean and Elena nodded. "I wouldn't expect you guys and lady to understand."

"Well, we'll just have to try," Dean said.

"You wouldn't have happened to have swung by a crossroads in the past week or so?" Sam asked.

Jim frowned, confused. "No."

"Maybe you met someone? With black eyes? Or red?"

Jim leaned forward. "Who'd you say you guys were again?"

Dean glanced at Sam and Elena. "Never mind. Thank you for your time." He got up and his brother and friend followed.

MOTEL ROOM

Dean was sitting at a table reading the laptop and Elena was perusing books.

Sam opened the door and entered. "Hey." He closed the door and his brother and friend looked up.