Orlaith - No Escape From Reality

Reviewer: Myst3ry007

Review: No Escape From Reality

Client: tannyprecious

🌻

No Escape from Reality isn't what it seems to be. It's a far cry from a Teen Fiction, as neither the MC or anyone around her goes to High School but rather this is College Fiction.

Blurb:

The blurb starts off with an interesting two-line hook, that gives you insight into who the book is about and also what has transpired in her life already.

However, what follows takes every last bit of intrigue you felt before and dashes it. Leaving you feeling confused. The MC has a name, then changes it to be part of the billionaire family – something strange in itself – but then changes it back to her previous name.

This makes zero sense because if you were running from a life – you wouldn't use the name you previously had.

In addition to this fundamental issue, the fact that the blurb has this much information in it. Just gives the plot away and makes you wonder why you're even diving further in as you've kind of gotten everything you need from the blurb alone.

Grammar & Punctuation:

The grammar and punctuation within the book are fairly okay in most instances. However, when it comes to translation between the other language and English – there are moments when brackets and other punctuation marks are forgotten. And the sentences run on.

Paragraphing & Phrasing

With regards to the paragraphing, they're done quite well. They hold just short burst of information about what is happening in the moment and then break for a new thought. This really makes the read flow easily.

With regards to phrasing however, there is a lot of issue with this. Most sentences are written in a confusing way. Where the syntax of it is incorrect so you have to reread it over and over to try and figure out what is being said. There are also moments when normal everyday sayings are written in ways that make them lose all meaning.

Characterization:

The characters within this book are sadly flat and have zero dimensions to them. The author constantly describes every person that the MC comes across which is not needed since the waiter at the coffee shop won't even remember them a half an hour from now.

With that being said, a lack of description is also a major issue when it comes to characters. Minor details of eye colour and hair colour are given but the rest of their face and body is pretty much a blank slate. This takes away from the full picture that the story is meant to paint.

Now – I get that the author is writing about a Korean family – however this isn't written in Korean. It's written in English which means that – yes in their custom you write the surname first and then the name. However, that causes major issue with characters. As everyone is now known as Song since in English – its first name then last name.

When it comes to characters and ethnicity – you can still keep their ethnicity however the way its written isn't meant to be written in the way that they speak or would write in that language. As well as with speaking another language. If you want to add in another language – by all means but make sure that English is the main thing. And rather put the actual language in the brackets and punctuate it correctly as Descriptions and speech have melded together in this aspect making it confusing.

Plot:

The plot of this book is sadly something to be desired. It has fallen flat and really starts off on a shaky foundation to begin with. The author knows what they want to write but sadly their execution isn't that great.

At certain points – the MC – has thoughts about things however, the thoughts aren't complete. And leave you confused. One such thought is that something was mentioned about a family member – what? I don't know as it wasn't stipulated clearly – and then they went on to say that it was quite rare for someone who is Korean. This threw me off as there was no context.

A major plot hole is that the book talks about running from threats. Yet the MC didn't run. The father paid for it all. Which if you were running you wouldn't want any trace to where you are which there would be.

This really just ruined the whole story going forward as things didn't add up.

In addition to that. I feel the author needs to do some research on the places her character will be in. As the description of New York was lacklustre and was something to be desired. A town known for its hustle was written in a way that sounded like it was dead. Something that once again takes away from the read.

Writing Style:

The writing style the author went for is one that many go for when it comes to romance / college written books which is first person. However, the tense in which is meant to be written in – isn't all that clear as there are instances when the tenses switch. Either mid-sentence or between each paragraph.

The one standing issue is that you aren't being taken along for a ride and living the story out as the character. Instead, you're being told what is happening. This doesn't immerse you into the story and thus you lose your will to continue it.

Another thing to look at is transitions. There isn't any. When someone moves from one place to another when things happen it's a transition but since you're being told what is happening. There is a kind of stop start kind of feel to the read.

Overall:

No Escape from Reality is a concept that's been seen many times before. This story can be turned into a really gripping read if the author were to put more time into the craft. Planning and research being a major need for this book to thrive.

All in all, I felt quite empty reading this and couldn't connect with the characters as there was nothing to really attach onto. With a bit of planning, some major research and also more reading of other books this book can turn into something quite good to read.