Astrid - Motorcycle Nights

Reviewer: AStridGSmile12

Review: Motorcycle Nights

Client: roseflorets

🌻

0.1 Motorcycle Nights is a relevant title, and readers will find it endearing once they read a certain amount of the material. The cover depicts two women and a backdrop of a sky. It gives the feel of mundane life, which is such a contrast to the material underneath it. I both love it and find it perplexing. The contrast of having a lighthearted cover compared to heavy topics within the book is not a bad idea. I only suggest to the author that you ask yourself about the relevance of the cover to the story.

Could you maybe depict moody Seo Woo or noble Si Woo together? Could you maybe depict three people sitting down looking at the sky together? Could you tie the title to the cover a little more?

The relevance to the cover is important because when you submit it for awards (if you ever want to), it will be judged on how accurately it represents the blurb and the work. Your blurb talks about Seo Woo first, but your cover has no male. Your blurb talks about the gang component, but your cover has none of that. You mention a motorcycle in the title but no bike. Other people you will be competing with will have covers tailored to their blurb or title while still maintaining relevance to their entire work. So, just think about it a bit more.

I don't want to focus entirely on spelling and grammar because nothing was misspelled, and nothing was misunderstood. There is a difference in diction and word choice than I'm used to, but that's nothing to address. We are all writers from different parts of the world, and unless we want to cater to readers who are used to (I believe people refer to it as) American English, I don't have a real need to shine a light on this area. At the same time, I need to let you know that I don't know if other readers will mind the differences in diction and word choice. Judges in competitions will pick the works that mirror what they read outside of Wattpad, but again we are scattered across the world, and perhaps the judge is like me and knows that the story is too good for that to really matter.

The plot is like a winter turning into spring with the hope that spring will turn into summer soon. In other words, the story begins with a grueling torture session to help the reader understand that the ML will carry heavy demons throughout the journey. But you soon find him in a small town living a mechanic life, quiet and mundane, sometime after the beginning. His meeting with Si Woo slowly seems to be open him up, and the tension and sweetness are perfect. Their further interactions are lighter in heart and hopeful, like spring. I hope that a summery romance follows suit soon, but I love the spring for now.

For the writing style, it's first-person perception. And the author changes P.O.V between Seo and Si Woo, so we have different perceptions of life. It's an excellent element of the style because the author doesn't go overboard switching back and forth.

Am I enjoying this work? Yes, yes I am! I can't wait for more, obviously. I see the characters are developing at a reasonable pace. The promise of a romance or a solid friendship (in the least) makes me very happy. Some people have them make googling eyes at each other like in the first chapter, but the author lets them meet a couple of times to bond them, which is refreshing and extra fun. Yeseul is my favorite character, though, because she makes her sister's life harder than it should be, and I can't decide if she does it on purpose or she's ignorant of her effects. She cracks me up. Also, the author added sci-fi elements, but in a way that fit the story well and didn't produce unneeded mystery. And the added feature is just perfect for readers like me who love DRAMA.

And it's now the end of my review. So, author, if you would like a review for your blurb or author's note, you can place mine,

"Motorcycle Nights, as the title implies, is a fantastical and turbulent journey of self-discovery and self-acceptance. You get two leads, each with their own social, mental, and emotional hurdle, and you can feel the hopefulness each gives the other as support. It's a coffee and comfy blanket read you'll be happy to get done in an afternoon." - Astrid, Sunflower Community Reviewer