Part 37: Martyrize

A/N: Hello once more, it me. I Hope you all know we are rather close to the end now. Take that as ominously as you'd please.

https://www.deviantart.com/vcl2006/art/Star-927338690
Once again, VCL, making some lovely art. The touches of exhaustion on Erratum's face is just. Everything about this is perfect.

Be sure to stick around to the end notes for something a little... SPECIAL.

Enjoy

To say Erratum was significantly shaken up the remainder of the day would be underselling it. Their mind had been filled with too much all at once, all unsettling and foreboding pieces of information they had to deal with. Nightmare's affections, Erratum's affections, Ink's loss of control to the muses, Nightmare and Dream's near-fatal encounter, and the jarring resolve it brought them to.

Or rather, the confirmation that set everything in stone.

Cross had even gone a little easy on them regarding their quick disappearance into potential danger again. The moment the god felt the desperate pull of their magic from Nightmare they had near instantaneously vanished, much like a reflex. The sight of how battered he'd been, running low on magic and corruption dripping down his face, was still burned into their mind.

This is what happens to gods like us when we hesitate.

Erratum was staring down into the malformed shape that was Ink's 'soul', settled at the base of their altar as they considered it. A few darker ideas were whispering in their mind as they kept their hold on it gentle, having to keep themself in check while doing so. The slightly heart-shaped object sat, harmlessly floating in place, mocking them. This singular object was the source of every bit of conflict and agony they had been put through, both in this life and their last. They had moved past the 'don't be bitter' motto to 'be rational' instead. They had a right to be bitter and upset despite it all, but only if they remained rational about how they went about it.

Their hard musings over this object were interrupted by Verse appearing in front of them, displaying a phone icon with Dream's face to them. The Guardian gave a confused expression to the console before running their hand over the screen. It enlargened the slightest bit before connecting, leaving them further confused when they spotted Nightmare instead. "Nightmare? What-"

"Listen," Nightmare cut them off, looking exhausted and still freshly wounded from earlier's fight. "We need your assistance with something. Immediately, please." The tone was pleading but not desperate; Erratum had become quite skilled in picking out the differences. The god could only nod their agreement, seeing him heave a relieved sigh at their compliance. "Great, knew we could count on you."

Erratum gave a faint smile despite their mood. "Of course you can, Nightlight." They breathed a quiet laugh as they were immediately hung up on in response. Their smile turned slightly wistful before they steeled themself again, creating a rift for them to travel through. They weren't too surprised to find themself in his manor once more, but they were a little surprised to be standing in the main lounge with Dream and Nightmare.

Or more specifically, with Nightmare leaning against the armrest of the couch, tendril wrapped around a box of tissues while Dream wept beside him.

Nightmare spotted them immediately, head raising from its position resting on his palm. "Oh thank the Guardians..." He muttered as the Guardian gave him a bizarre look. One of his tendrils clumsily dabbed at Dream's face, or at least what it could reach with the spirit's face buried in his hands. "Errata, please, we're a being of negativity but this goes outside of even our realm of knowledge." He pleaded with them. Erratum glanced between the two a moment, a little startled at being thrown into something so emotionally charged so suddenly.