Chapter 10 (Edited)

Start from the beginning

"When did Richey's BBQ close down?" Journey asked as they passed what used to be her favorite restaurant.

"About a year and a half ago." Leo replied. He saw the look of disappointment in her eyes as they passed what used to be their favorite place to eat.

"Oh." Journey mumbled.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Leo asked with concern as he lifted Journeys hand that he was holding to his lips and kissed it

"It's just been so long since I've been home and it's kind of a little overwhelming." Journey answered.

"Well cheer up because we are here, and you don't want your momma to see you so upset now do you?" Leo reassured her as he pulled into the driveway.

Journey took a deep breath and calmed herself down before she got out of the car. When she went to open the door, Leo was already there and held out his hand for her to take. Journey was surprised by Leo's actions. Then she looked into his eyes. Now she was mesmerized. Leo had always had the most beautiful green eyes that Journey had ever seen. She could lose herself in his eyes for hours and be content.

"Are you ready to go inside?" Leo asked snapping Journey out of her trance. A small smile played on his lips. She had been staring into his eyes. It was something she used to do all the time when they were in high school.

"As ready as I'll ever be." Journey replied allowing Leo to lead her up the front porch steps and to the door. She watched as Leo knocked on the door three times, and they waited for her mother to answer. At the sound of footsteps Journey tensed up. Leo squeezed her hand to reassure Journey everything was ok. Then her mother opened the door.

"Journey sweetheart! What a surprise, and Leo darling how are you?" Journey's mom exclaimed wrapping them both of them into a hug. She was overjoyed to be seeing her daughter again. She knew they had a lot to talk about.

"Hey Momma." Journey smiled and walked through the door. It had been too long since she had been in her childhood home and felt safe. She felt that safety now.

"Hey Ms. Kathy." Leo replied as he followed Journey through the door.

"I'm so glad you came to see me." Kathy told them holding back tears in her eyes.

"Momma, I would have come sooner, but I just-I didn't know what to say to you. I was at the funeral though." Journey blurted out unable to stop herself.

"It's ok sweetie, I know why you never came to visit, and I saw you at the funeral. I tried to catch you before you left because I wanted to talk to you, but you disappeared." Kathy replied.

"Well Journey, it seems you have a history of pulling the disappearance act on people. She did the same thing to me back in December." Leo commented.

"Oh really? I was hoping you two would find your way back to each other. Leo, I am so sorry for what he did to you and the way he threatened you." Kathy apologized for her late husband’s wrong doings.

"You know." Journey whispered in shock. If her mother knew then why hadn’t she said anything?

"Yes baby I know he told me before he died." Kathy answered her daughter taking her hand.

"B-b-but I thought he died from a heart attack? How did he tell you?" Journey stuttered still in shock.

"He did have a heart attack, but it didn't kill him instantly. He spent the last few hours of his life confessing to me and the preacher what he had done. Then he died. Baby, I am so, so, so, so, sorry for the hell he put you through. I just don't understand why you never told me. I would have had him locked up or killed him one." Kathy cried letting her tears fall freely now.