CHAPTER 06

CHAPTER SIX

Gina's P.O.V

That night we both screamed.

No one south North Ander cries for help. People who cry for help believe there's help to be cried for. We were a lost cause with no hope for a saving grace...

My mum slapped me hard across the face, her long sharp nails cutting through my chin and I fell to the ground. I don't remember why we were fighting. It was always over something trivial but we'd both get so heated.

She has a fiery temper. I don't like being pushed around.

She looked at me on the floor, her eyes foggy like she wasn't even in there in that moment. Like it was all a dream and she was floating on clouds far away from our broken home.

She grabbed her bottle and walked back into the living room. I stayed on the floor, frozen, shaking. My mind blank and wondering how life lead us here.

I lifted my fingers to my face where I'd felt a warm liquid cascade own my check. It was red. Blood. Tears rippled out of me as I scrambled off the kitchen floor and ran up to my room. Slamming the door shut and hugging my knees to my chest as I tried to keep from sobbing loudly.

And then I heard it.

The wales of a boy I'd known most of my life and the angry grunts of his father, along with the whipping of a belt slashing across skin.

"Get the hell out of my house fucking disappointment", Mr Peterson yelled.

Intrigued I got up and walked to my window in time to see Mr Peterson hauling his trembling son out the door and into the cold.

Jake didn't even try to open the door or get inside. This had turned into a routine on every other week. He wasn't as phased as the first few times when the pot belled balding grey hair man he called further treated him worse than the dirt on his shoes.

That dirt was safely hidden in corners he couldn't hurt, unlike Jake.

Five minutes of silence and thoughts passed as I chewed on my bottom lip, deciding on what to do. I climbed out onto my little balcony.

"Jake", I called my voice still weak and raspy from crying. He looked up to see where the voice was coming from before he met my wry eyes with his confused ones.

I let the little ladder down and he got the idea to climb up. I led him into the warm darkness of my room.

We both tired of being lonely and even more scared to be alone.

~.~

Pitch black darkness. That's all I was able to see.

My eyes felt too heavy to open as I pushed the dream back. I didn't need to relive what happened that night, especially my part of in letting it happen.

I felt the urgent need to vomit and by instinct flew out of bed to race to the bathroom only to be pulled to the ground by a cold tug on my wrist. A quick yelp escaped my lips as I swallowed the bile back down.

My eyes flew open but were welcomed by an unfamiliar bright pink room and a handcuff around my wrist.

What the hell?

The door suddenly opened revealing Reggie clad in a black shirt and jeans.

"Good, your awake", he chirps walking into the room with a tray of food. He sets the food by a small table and brings a bucket, holding it out to me. My brows furrowed at the gesture, confused as my mind's still trying to register what was going on.