Chapter 28

"Grace, wake up." A voice whispered tapping me.

I opened my eyes slowly, still feeling very sleepy. I met the gaze of who I would have least expected to be in my room.

" Demola?" I asked, sitting up, raising my brows, in confusion.

" What are you even doing in my room by this time?" I asked again, noticing my room still dark but lit by a dim artificial light from the room's lightings. It was probably not more than 1 A. M in the morning.

"Shhhhhh." He whispered, putting his hands on his lips, making me notice he was without his eye glass.

Still confused but at the same time curious, I stood up carefully from my bed. Turning to check if my movement woke my sleeping mum up.

Now seeing it didn't affect her, I turned back to face Demola, cleaning my eyes with my palms to clear the sleep off of my eyes.

" Just follow me." He whispered, walking towards the door, and pausing , waiting for me to follow him.

I nodded my head and walked, to meet him, by the door.

Seeing I was now on the same pace with me , he opened the door, held it and waited for me to come out of the room before gently, closing it shut.

I watched him pick up his pace the moment we stepped out my room, making me do the same , since I didn't want to be left behind.

Suddenly stopping , he held his right hand up, as if asking me to wait.

" What? " I asked, confused.

" Don't move, just stay where you are. " He whispered in reply, making me feel fear for what was to come.

People only talked like that only when something bad was about to happen.

" Please na, tell me, let me just run back to my room." I begged, wanting by all means to know what his reason for saying that was. Besides my body was starting to hurt from not moving.

" My leg is itching me o. I want to scratch it. I don't think I can do that stiffness you want from me." I replied, now feeling irritated. I had an itch on my legs I wanted to scratch so bad.

Abi, was the man thinking he was in a spy movie or something??

I felt silly, for leaving my beautiful sleep, for Demola. Someone who was a slave in his own marriage. What was I thinking to even follow him??

I hissed.

" I will scratch my leg oo. I can't take it anymore."

" Don't!" He whisper_yelled, still not moving.

I bent low, ignoring his plea. "Man must not suffer because of Demola" was the only thing I chanted in my head , as I bent low to satisfy my itch.

I sighed finally Satisfied with myself for scratching the itch. Feeling the presence of someone else apart from Demola, I raised my head slowly, to meet the gaze of Rodger.

I gasped.

" Rodger!" I yelled.

" Shut up and stop shouting!" Demola snapped, making me immediately shut up.

He sounded really scary when he asked me to shut up. Infact I didn't even know what was more scary. Demola, the idiot of the house, telling me to shut up or, Rodger, the tiger, in our way, watching us calmly.

" Don't run" he whispered, sounding calm this time .

I glared at him from my position at his back. So, I was supposed to just stand and wait for Rodger to attack?

" Copy my movement and shut up , if you don't want to be killed by Rodger."he continued, sounding extremely serious like it was a situation of life and death.

Even though his back was facing me and he couldn't see me , I still nodded my head, agreeing to his command.

He bent low in a squat_like position, slowly stretching his left leg forward and lifting his right hand , almost in a stop_like motion.

" Do what I did and remain like that." He whispered, still frozen in his position.

I slowly moved my left leg forward and brought my right hand forward, copying his exact position. I didn't know how true his words were, but I didn't want to find out if they really were true.

" Now, in that same position, slowly walk backwards to your room. If you run, Rodger will chase you. "

" Don't worry we'll continue some other time." He added,making my heart beat faster in fear.

Even if he was not being serious, I still didn't want to test how true his words were. Why did I ever bother moving from my bed??

I moved back slowly, my heart feeling like it was in my mouth from how fast it was beating.

Rodger watched me, still in his position of all fours. Not looking like he was making a move to attack.

I took another slow calculative step backwards. Moving slowly.

I continued, with the movement till I got to a familiar spot near my room , at this point I couldn't even see Rodger or Demola again. I only continued with the weird backwards movement because I didn't want to take chances with anything.

I remained in the squatting position. I raised my right hand slowly and reached for my room door, trying to feel for its handle. Straining all of my back and arm muscles, I continued to stretch, knowing I was almost near the door handle.

I finally felt the handle and smiled.

Now, slowly pushing the door open with it, I ran inside my room and immediately lock the door for extra safety.

Taking deep breaths to calm my raising heart, I took a quick glance at my mum. She was as usual still sleeping as peaceful as ever.

I walked to the bed and lay down my head on a pillow, closing my eyes , trying to sleep and forget all that had just transpired . Then, it dawned on me....

I left Demola and Rodger alone!

Hello!!

What did you think of this chapter? OMG ! I have got some good things in-store for this book. Lol , I have seen some really hillarious theories on what Is happening in this book and I can't wait to see more!

Thanks again for taking time out to read House of madness. I really appreciate it!