Chapter 45- Happy as Could be

--Donovan POV--

I looked down at the sleeping child in the cot, he was about a month old if I recall correctly, and as he grew older, Clyde would continue telling me that he was beginning to look more and more like me by the day, which I hated hearing.

"Why are you alive?" I whispered.

"I would have had a better chance of getting her back if you never existed, so why... why did you have to be born?" My face twisted up in an annoyed glare as the child began to wake up, but he didn't cry as I had expected, he looked up at me and smiled.

Outstretching his arms towards me as if he knew that I was his father, but I doubt it. I refused to look at him from the moment I heard of his birth because I knew it would only remind me of how I failed to get Angelina back.

And now she was in Germany, which was, apparently, her new home. I heard from Clyde that she was due to give birth soon, and that she was decorating the nursery for her child herself instead of getting anyone else to do it.

And then there's me.

I looked around the room that I was currently stood in, it was a plain room, with grey walls and not a single item decorating the walls, just a few cabinets that contained his clothes and other things as well the white cot that he resided in.

He had a single dinosaur plushie that he spent his time fiddling around with, but other than that, there was nothing. Nothing at all.

"What a pitiful child you are," I pointed out.

But he had no idea of the words I spoke, he played with his feet, trying to eat his toes because apparantly his mother wasn't feeding him enough, and he giggled, getting his slobber everywhere as he kept reaching out to me as if I would pick him up.

Angelina's moved on now, she had a new family that she replaced me with.

While I'm here stuck with a child that I don't want, a wife that I hated, and a soulless estate that didn't feel like home without Angelina in it.

I messed up, I know I did, I messed up beyond repair and I'm never going to be able to get her back in this lifetime. And I had to accept that now, the rest of this life was meaningless.

But I was still stuck here pining after her because there's nothing else that I could do unless I wanted to feel the wrath of Lucian Vandenburg once again.

I still haven't fully recovered from his previous beating even though months have already passed, broken bones take time to heal, my body was now littered with the scars of his anger, and I hated it. Now it's never going to be possible for me to look passed this humiliation, I'll remember every time I see my reflection.

I was lucky to get away without having to face the consequences of my crimes, but I know that if the afterlife exists then Hell is waiting for me.

Until then, I'll slowly drift through this pathetic life.

"I'm going to raise you to become a soulless monster," I muttered out as I looked at the child. 

"I won't see you unless I must, and I won't speak to you unless you speak first. But, you need to prove to me that you're worthy of being called my child,"

I'll become a father just like my own.

I won't acknowledge this child to be mine until he proves himself worthy.

"You are the future Duke of Ludovica. I know I failed, so it's up to you to restore the broken Moretti name," I was here for one reason today, and that reason was because I had to name him.