Chapter 51

Lan Wangji was methodically searching every street, every shadow and crevice where his son could be hiding. He had no idea where to start and it was making him extremely anxious. He was scared to death that he would lose not only his son but also his husband. For he knew it would be devastating for Wei Ying to have another child torn away from his arms, especially in this way. He would never forgive himself for leaving A-Yuan all alone. Lan Wangji was not sure if he would ever get his husband back if that was the case.

With tighter and tighter feeling in his chest, he continued his search. He was only holding himself from running with all his might, it would not do any good, he could overlook some clues. At the same time though, he had a strong urge to cover the most ground possible, he hoped that he would be able to find his baby faster that way.

He was keeping his worries safely locked away, he could not get distracted, not by them and not by the image of his husband kneeling on the ground, in terrible agony and blaming himself. Lan Wangji could not let himself remember otherwise he would be angry with himself for leaving. His whole family needed him, he had to stay strong and not buckle under the pressure.

He finished another circle around the inn, with no tangible results. He stopped for a second, collecting himself. He could not let himself panic, he simply had to enlarge the circle and continue searching. There was no other way. If he did not busy himself, he was afraid that all his dark and heavy thoughts would catch up him to him at once. Which would be less than ideal in this kind of situation, his mind had to stay sharp. HE could not let himself forget these simple rules and repetition did wonders for him.

He took the first step in the new direction and he stilled completely. His nostrils widened as they picked up a familiar scent, his fated Omega's pheromones. He would never be able to mistake those anywhere, Wei Ying was calling for him.

Lan Wangji did not lose even a second and he run. He let himself be guided by his nose and his instincts as he was now searching for his husband. His mind was going highwire. Not because he thought Wei Ying was in any kind of danger or that he had finally succumbed entirely to his grief and distress, for that, his pheromones were way too sweet and calm. No, Lan Wangji was sure that his husband had good news for him and that he should hurry to receive them.

He finally saw the back of the inn coming into view. It was now the only thing blocking his path to Wei Ying. The Second Jade gritted his teeth and silently cursed the obstacle. He had a thought that if he took out his sword, he could just force his way through the walls, right to his Omega's side. The wood would not stand any chance against him when he knew his husband was waiting for him.

He was already even reaching for the sword, still running at the top speed he could achieve. Then, he reconsidered in a matter of a single fraction of a second. They needed a place to sleep, it would not do if he destroyed the only decent inn in the area. Not even mentioning that there could still be people inside.

Lan Wangji scoffed and instead of taking the direct route, he jumped onto his sword and flew over the not so tall building. From high in the air, he could clearly see that his hope had not been betrayed. Wei Ying was right in the spot where he had left him, only now he was standing and holding A-Yuan in his arms. Lan Wangji never felt so relieved in his life.

He jumped down from his sword when he was still several meters high and landed perfectly safely in front of his small family. Wei Ying looked at him a little surprised but smiled the next second. Then, both their eyes went back to the sleeping figure of their little treasure. Lan Wangji could not hold his emotions back any longer and he hugged both his husband and their son tight. If there were several tears staining Wei Ying's robes, neither of them mentioned it, they simply basked in their regained happiness.

Lan Wangji barely noticed when his brother went to call off the search and tell everyone that the missing baby had been found. The ruckus in the town was slowly dying out. Some people came to see whom they had been searching for but Lan Xichen managed to turn them away pretty quickly. Lan Wangji was grateful to him for this, he was not ready to share his family with anyone just yet.

Jiang Cheng and Jin Zixuan were a little more challenging to placate, but soon, all arguments were settled, mostly thanks to Jiang Yanli and Wen Ning all but forcing their husbands inside the inn. The crowd was dispersing and the night was becoming quiet once again. The only people who were still outside were soon only Lan Wangji, Wei Ying, A-Yuan, Lan Xichen and Nie Huisang who had also returned upon hearing the good news.

The First Jade slowly made his way to them and bowed low together with the other. It was clear that they were blaming themselves for not keeping A-Yuan safe enough. After what Lan Wangji heard from his husband, he could however not blame them, not entirely anyway. If he and Wei Ying had been the ones on guarding duty, chances were that it would have still happened. A-Yuan was one curious baby and if he wanted to play with the window and fall out of it in the process, it would have taken place regardless of who was sitting in the room next door.

His husband viewed this in the same way as him and he quickly went forward to stop Lan Xichen and Nie Huisang from bowing: "Big Brother Xichen, Brother Nie, please stand up. There is no need for you to apologize. This was not your fault. It was an accident."

The Gusu Lan sect leader refused to stand straight and he spoke back, guilt audible in his broken voice: "Wuxian, how can you say this? We have let you and Wangji down, we have broken the trust you have put in us and caused you so much pain and distress." Wei Ying grimaced at those words, it was true that he had been beside himself mere minutes ago, but he let Lan Xichen finish. "Please, I wish for you to punish me."

This time, it was Lan Wangji who winced in discomfort. He had never before seen his brother like this. Lan Xichen was not him, he never asked for punishments openly, he did not need to, everything he had done was either good or for the sake of the Gusu Lan sect. Since Lan Wangji could remember, his brother had had a strong sense of justice and never let himself stray from the path he had chosen. That was why seeing him begging for forgiveness was not something he was used to.

Wei Ying also seemed to have been taken aback. He recovered quickly though and continued smiling at Lan Xichen and Nie Huisang, prompting them to stand up again. There was small mischievous light in his eyes and Lan Wangji could tell that he was about to do something unorthodox.

"Still, no more bowing. This could not have been avoided either way. And we have found A-Yuan safe and sound, that is all that matters to me and Lan Zhan. But... If you insist, I will give you a just punishment. You are to watch A-Yuan for us whenever you will be free, I want to teach him how big the world outside of the Jingshi is and I cannot do it on my own. I have learned a valuable lesson today and I truly wish to change my ways. It is no good for anyone if I would be an emotional wreck every time I cannot see A-Yuan, thus, I will be replying on your guidance."

Lan Xichen stood up in surprise hearing Wei Ying talk like this. Lan Wangji was no better off. However, he was glad at the same time, it seemed like his husband had gained more inner strength from this incident than he could imagine. His fated Omega was the strongest person in the whole world and everyone needed to know it.

He should not have been worried, Lan Xichen could apparently see the same change happening: "Wuxian, you have become stronger, have you not?"