Evil Pieces?

Beginne am Anfang

"I should probably explain to you that half of the reason we were able to win was also cause of Ravel giving me a Phoenix Tear as a gift. If you should thank anyone, it would be her." I pointed to Ravel who flinched a bit and blushed hearing the praise.

"I-I didn't do anything! I just gave you that cause I thought you'd need it! Don't pull me into this!"

"*Ahem* Anyway, the factions did wish to try and offer you this as our way to thank you for the feat you've accomplished. You may be low in numbers, but the Nekomata faction once it grows to a large amount will become extremely powerful As such, we'd like you to establish a stronger group with these. Keep in mind, this is also our groups way to restore your faction to a proper percentage in our ranks to take on more acts as well as reduce the strain you yourself must take on."

I placed the piece I was looking at back in the bag I was given and bowed my head. "I'm honored to accept this from the factions. Thank you very much and I will work hard to complete assignments going forward in just as much diligence."

"I know you will. Well, I guess I'll be off." Serafall left to leave me and Ravel in the home somewhat dumbfounded.

"I still can't believe you've been given this."

"I know. Before anything though, I should without a doubt ask Kuroka if she'd be willing to be part of my house."

This comment confused Ravel. "Why her?"

"Kuroka is right now still labeled as a 'Rouge'. Though she has helped us on numerous occasions, she's still not part of any faction in particular, which means she's unilaterally uncontrollable by everyone's standards. No faction behind her to keep rings on. No group that will give her backlash if she strays. Giving her this would be a thank you for what she's done as well as solidify her standings to avoid any strain on her status in the factions."

"You think she'll accept it?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Hopefully." Glancing at the two Bishops in the bag, I noticed two pieces that were extremely out of place. "What's up with these?" I pulled them out to show them as a deep red instead of the normal green piece color.

"Those are most likely Mutation Pieces."

"What are they?"

"To put things simple, they're an abnormal occurrence that happens from time to time when the framework of a Devil's house underachieves what the current Devil head's capable of. As such, an Evil Piece can alter and become a Mutation Piece. Let's say for example that you want to revive someone as a Devil, but all you have are a Bishop, Knight, Rook, and a few Pawns with you needing at least two Knight Pieces which would be about six Pawns worth to revive. If a Pawn was a Mutation Piece or the Knight, you could revive someone that would be the equivalence of a Queen into that rank or even more."

"So it's like a wild card in the set that can pop up."

"From what I was told, they were bugs in the creation of the Ratings Games during the 16th Century that was never fixed to keep things interesting. Only about 1 in 10 Devils can even attain such a piece in their set, but I've honestly never heard of a holder of a set having two. Consider yourself beyond lucky."

I glanced at the Mutation Pieces somewhat curious why I was able to have two. 'Is this actually a mistake, or is this some kind of ulterior motive as to why I have two?' I put one of them away before placing the other in my pocket. "Welp. I have to go find my sister. Sorry to pick your brain and leave like this." I placed the pieces in a drawer and locked it just in case someone tried to sneak in and take them without my knowledge.

"Not at all. You needed a little insight on the system, and I was more than happy to offer it. Also...umm..." Ravel began fidgeting a little for me to walk over and hug her. "Izuku."