Dear Anakin, Obi-Wan, and 501st

Start from the beginning

"Okay," Anakin let out a shaky breath and stepped inside, his vision blurring with tears. He staggered over to a corner and sat down, burying his face in his face.

The room smelled like Ahsoka, but he couldn't feel her. There was still a gaping void in his chest from the absence of her presence and the painfully one-sided force bond from which her end had been stripped away. It hurt like no other.

Obi-Wan and Plo had begun folding the blankets from her bed. Those all belonged to the Jedi and would be washed and reused in another bed. All except for one ragged, ripped-up blanket that Ahsoka kept hidden under the mattress of her bed.

Anakin climbed to his feet and stumbled over, lifting the mattress and removing the neatly-folded blanket. Neither Obi-Wan nor Plo said anything. They couldn't.

As Anakin turned back to slump back in the corner, he felt a pull at him to stop. And for a moment, Anakin could've sworn he felt Ahsoka. But just as fast as the feeling came it left. Anakin let out a shuddery breath and his eyes fell to her desk. The books, datapad, and homework were stacked neatly on either end of the desk, and in the middle, there was a holo disk and a neatly hand-written note.

With trembling fingers, Anakin lifted the note. It read:

Anakin,

If you're reading this right now, I'm sorry. I know I wasn't the easiest apprentice to have and I know I was really rough around the edges and I know I hurt you. You and Obi-Wan and Master Plo and Padme are all the boys, too.

I'm sorry for that, but I had to do it. I did the right thing. You should be grateful for what I did anyway. I mean, just admit it, the plan was crappy anyway and I saved your hides. I always do, don't I?

Anakin, I know you've already given so much for me, but can you do one more favour for me? Can you take this recording I've made and show it to Obi-Wan and the boys and maybe Master Plo and Padme if you can find them? Don't you dare watch it alone. Can you do that for me?

Thank you so much. For everything.

Your favourite ever padawan

–Snips, AKA Ahsoka Tano

Ahsoka had signed her name at the bottom, the letters curving beautifully. A drop of water splattered on the paper, smearing some of the ink, and Anakin cursed himself. He rapidly wiped his eyes, just then realizing that he'd been crying.

But he hardly had time to be angry at himself for ruining the note. He had something more important to do; a wish to grant. A dying wish.

"Master Plo, Obi-Wan, we have to gather the men," Anakin blurted, whirling around to face the elder Jedi.

"Anakin, we have to finish this," Obi-Wan reminded him gently. "And what could we possibly need all the men for?"

Anakin slammed the note down on the dresser before them that they had just finished clearing. Obi-Wan and Plo skimmed over the note, then exchanged looks.

"We better gather the men."

🔺🔺🔺

The 501st, 212th, and 104th crammed in the hanger. They didn't know what they had been called there for, but it sounded urgent.

Anakin stood before everyone after they had all gathered. "Gentlemen, I've brought you all here today because Ahsoka–" his voice cracked violently and he had to take a deep breath to continue. "--I found a note that Ahsoka... Ahsoka wrote for me. She's-she's made a recording and asked me to show it to everyone."

Obi-Wan patted Anakin's back gently. Anakin gave the holo-disk to Artoo, who was able to enlarge and amply it. Anakin stepped away and stood shakily next to Obi-Wan.