Chapter 112: Angreifer

Start from the beginning

One facet of Schilde's description caught Gra Lux' attention. "40,000 pounds?" He asked, tilting his head. "Wasn't the Angreifer-3 30,000 pounds?"

Faced with a question related to his work, Schilde loosened up and began to elaborate with passion, "Yes, yes. It seemed that 30,000 pounds was the limit of current science, but recent advances in magical research have allowed me to cheat the system! The Angreifer-4 makes use of runes along its exterior, magical fuel mixtures, and magic-enhanced payloads!"

"Hm," Gra Lux gave an impressed hum. "What is the range and power of this weapon?"

Schilde answered proudly, "It has a range of 1500 miles, five times the range of its predecessor and enough to cover the distance between Leiforia and Otaheit. It can carry up to 2,500 pounds of explosives or a single Model 11 nuclear warhead."

Gra Lux was impressed with the ability to drop 40 kilotons onto wherever he wanted, but the range was the most disappointing factor. He didn't deny that the jump from 300 to 500 miles was a significant accomplishment, but he couldn't challenge the Americans with such short ranges. To even threaten them with MAD in the first place, he would need to get close – something that the Americans certainly wouldn't allow.

Alas, the weapon was useful nonetheless. He might not be able to use nukes until the missile had enough range, but he could still deploy it conventionally for strikes against enemy bases. "Well done," Gra Lux praised Schilde's work. "For now, I want you to focus on enhancing the payload and miniaturizing the design for use by our naval warships," he said, thinking about the missile capabilities of the Americans and the new Mirishial Orichalcum-class battleships.

"Naval warships?" Schilde asked with a look of concern on his face.

"Yes," Gra Lux affirmed. "Is something the matter?"

Given permission to speak by the Emperor, Schilde pointed out what he believed to be a fatal flaw, "I... do not think the weapon will be effective on our ships."

The expression on Gra Lux's face grew ever more serious, sending chills down Schilde's spine. "And why might that be?"

"S-Sir, the Angreifer does not have advanced guidance," Schilde responded with a crestfallen look. "It can target a stationary base or city, but it can't target a moving object at sea. Our computers... are not as sophisticated as the Americans' computers."

Surprisingly, Gra Lux acted as if Schilde's concern was a non-issue. In fact, he already had a separate project in the works to analyze "Do not trouble yourself with such worries, Director. Just make sure that the Angreifer is modular and can be fitted with new targeting systems."

"O-Of course," Schilde hastily complied. He wasn't in complete consensus, but he didn't dare refuse the emperor's demands. "I will begin the adjustments immediately."

Gra Lux gave a satisfactory nod. "Good," he said, "Have your plans sent to the Chief of Naval Operations and the Electronics Research Department when they're complete."

—-

August 22, 1640
Maihark, Qua Toyne Principality

Having been the first nation to establish friendly relations with the United States, the nation of Qua Toyne received plentiful upgrades to their infrastructure, as well as boons to their economy and technology. These new benefits placed them on a higher standing than the other civilized countries in the Philades continent and with Parpaldia and Louria still rebuilding, Qua Toyne was selected as the location for the Third Civilized Region's annual policy meeting.

The topics of the meeting were relatively mundane and didn't need President Lee's presence, but he came anyway, mostly to see how Qua Toyne has evolved and to experience a short vacation.