C. 02

A date. How long have I not had a date? I don't even remember it and the agitation is not on my side at all. I dressed in a simple pair of jeans, but that wraps my legs perfectly, I know that, a blouse and a matching jacket, hoping not to look too much or too little. I don't know what to expect from this evening. I immediately accepted the invitation, driven by the wave of instinctive trust that now seems to me so unmotivated. After all the conversations started, the one with Maya, as my date is called, was the only one left standing and also developed quite frequently. The arguments were varied, although obviously superficial, but immediately I felt a kind of connection with her. And then she is beautiful. The only time I've doubted her, so far, is when I opened her profile and looked at the photo: she looked like she was taken by a modeling agency because of how beautiful she is. Blonde, wavy hair, green eyes, a physique that looks statuesque. Always thanks to the teachings of my best friend Antonio I learned to listen to my sexual instincts, which in front of his image have definitely awakened.

When I enter the chosen pub, she is already here, sitting at the counter. She is from behind, but I immediately recognize her and smile: a part of me was still afraid that the photo was a tarot and that I would find myself in front of a completely different person.

C < Maya?> I say, stopping a few steps from her shoulders. Immediately she turns around with a huge smile and something magical happens when ours eyes are chained and for a few seconds there is a sparkling silence between us.

M < Carina, hi!> she collects herself, getting up and approaching to leave me two kisses on the cheeks. I appreciate the choice of a first, quick physical contact, but absolutely not too close.

M < do you want to sit here or do you prefer a separate table, so maybe we can take something to eat?> I just nod.

C < I'm in for the table!> I say and she begin to walk in front of me.

C < do you come here a lot?> I ask. Maya nod, but the waiter interrups her. I surely appreciate that she ask me what I want and then tell the waiter both ours choices.

M < so, to come back to your question: yes, I come here a lot. Did you know this place already?>

C < of fame, but I have never been there...>

M < by fame you mean a bad reputation?> she asks, make me laugh and so she give me the opportunity to melt a little. We chat about more and less for a time that seems infinite to me and my fear of not knowing how to face a date slowly dies down.

C < so you're american?> I ask, referring to our previous chat conversations.

M < yes. I was born in California, then I lived two years in New York and then I came back in California..>

C < and how long have you been in Italy? You speak Italian very well!> she smiles at me and for a moment I distract myself from her words, thinking only how beautiful she is.

M < she smiles at me and for a moment I distract myself from her words, thinking only how beautiful she is...>

C < ah, that's why!> I smile. < did you come here for your parents job?> I guess and Maya's smile on her lips goes out, signaling me that I made a big mistake.

M < no, actually I live here alone, my parents still in the USA..> I nod and a few seconds later she added < or I believe at least..> I look at her with empathy.

C < I'm so sorry, I don't want to seem intrusive..> she smiles again, but not with the eyes.

M < don't worry. It's just a difficult theme for me...> I nod and stay silent. < are you from Rome?> she asks, giving me attention.