Chapter 39- The Festival of Stars

Beginne am Anfang

"Alice, I said I'm not hungry yet," She sighed, not even bothering to look up.

"Well, that's a shame. I was so looking forward to having lunch with my wife," And she jumped, snapping her head up to look at me as I chuckled, going over to kiss her forehead.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as I got comfortable on the seat on the other side of her desk, enjoying the sight of her surprised self.

"I missed you so I came to see you with the intention of distracting you from work," I honestly spoke as she scoffed, rolling her eyes at me.

"Then, consider me distracted,"

"Good. Then let's go eat," And I stood up.

"But-"

"Come on, darling. You should know, better than anyone else, how important it is to rest as much as it is to work. You've been working nonstop for the past few weeks, do you think you can spare me half of a day, at the very least?" I leaned forward over her desk as I spoke, begging her with my eyes.

Until she gave in with a loud sigh, and I had to hold myself back from cheering.

"Okay, I guess you're not wrong,"

And that's how we ended up here, eating spaghetti with a nice view of the bustling streets of Rome as I refused to let my eyes leave her figure. I haven't seen her in too long, it's a surprise how I managed to last so long.

She had become such a big part of my life that a day without her didn't feel right.

"Mother called me yesterday," I said.

"She did?"

"Yes, she was asking about you. Or rather, she was giving me a long lecture on how I should make sure you're staying healthy,"

"Oh, so you're entertaining me today on your mother's orders?" She joked, narrowing her eyes at me as I scoffed, annoyed.

"Don't be silly. I'm here of my own accord. I'm just a husband who misses his wife, but she doesn't seem to feel the same, you understand?"

"No, I don't. As far as I know, I miss you just as much as you miss me, if not, more," She laughed as she picked up another forkful of spaghetti.

"I find that hard to believe," I smirked as I leaned in, taking the spoonful she was feeding me.

"I've had to turn all the pictures I have of you away so that I don't think about you when I'm working, it didn't work, but me trying is what matters," I confessed.

"Oh, really?" She spoke in disbelief as I nodded, proud.

"Well, on the contrary, thinking about you is what helped me get through all these days of work," And the look of pride slipped off my face at her words, and when I looked at her, she laughed, clearly amused.

"Wait, really?" I raised a brow as a smile played on my lips, and she nodded.

"I will have you know that I've been working hard these past few weeks so that I could hurry up and be done with all the important work so that I could be with you later without having the pressure of work weighing me down," She said that so effortlessly before she continued to eat her food, while I sat there staring at her, unable to react.

"W-Wow... You, Angelina Vandenburg," I whispered, standing up as I leaned over the table, grabbing her cheeks in my hands as she laughed.

"What?" She spoke through her laughter as I leaned in, pressing my lips against her forehead as I squeezed my eyes shut, pouring all my love into that kiss.