Chapter 27: A Lingering Scent

Start from the beginning

Ranger groaned. "I'd rather go back to the hotel and sleep. The flight wore me out."

My shoulders dropped. "Okay," I said softly. "If you want."

Exhaling sharply, Ranger stood and took my hand. I went with him to the elevator. I knew looking was pointless. The Midfield werewolves had already searched the entire building, but I still wanted to try, or just know if West was being treated okay. The doors parted, and we entered. I waited for him to press a button.

"Well," Ranger waved his hand at a panel. "Choose the one where you want to start."

I jumped with joy and hugged him. "Thank you." I studied the button. Pressing one, I stepped back.

The doors closed, and we started to move. Ranger didn't look too thrilled about staying longer, but I was excited. Walking out onto the floor, I went straight to the first apartment. West' scent was there, so I hurried to the next. Ranger wandered along behind me as I raced about looking for the right room. Some Midfield agents gave me weird looks, but when they saw Ranger they left me alone. I searched that entire floor and the next one as well. 

"Are we done yet, Shy?" sighed Ranger. 

I wanted to press the button for the next floor. "Um..." I withdrew my hand. 

Ranger reached over and pressed the button for me. "Last floor, alright."

I smiled. "'kay. This'll be the last one, I promise."

He pressed up against me from behind and kissed the side of my head. "I better get a reward for this."

"Maybe." Squirming out of his arm, I escape into the hall when the doors parted. 

"I mean it Shiloh," he groaned as I ran down the hall. 

Laughing, I stopped at a door and pushed it open. I smelt the air. "Ranger! This is it. I found it." I hurried inside and walked around the living room. 

My mate arrived and took in a deep breath. "Yep, reeks of West in here."

I glared at him and went he was close enough, I hit his arm. "Be nice."

"Gez," he rubbed the spot. "West's not even here, and I'm getting in trouble."

Ranger sat down on the couch as I explored. The office was pretty bare. It didn't have West's scent either. I went to the other room and saw the large bed and TV to go with it. I grabbed one of the pillows. West had clearly used it. There was someone else scent in the room. It was very strong. I had a feeling it belonged to a dominant. 

I went into the bathroom and looked through the closet. Grabbed a hanger, I held up a very large suit jacket. It looked like my mate's side. 

The bathroom door creaked as Ranger entered. "Find anything." He leaned against the side of the doorway.

"West's mate," I said softly, handing him the jacket. 

Ranger nodded and hung it back up. "That's why he was taken, remember? West's mother has a very strong bloodline."

I sighed and ran my hand along the clothes. "Bloodlines," I whispered. "That's a stupid reason to want a mate."

Ranger laughed. "Yes, yes it is."

Glancing at him, I frowned. "Do you ever wish mine was better?"

He shook his head. "Never. Whether our pups are dominants or lower ranks, I don't care. They'll be ours, and that's all I care about."

"Do you think West is happy with this man?"

Ranger smiled. "Well knowing West, I'm kind of interested in meeting the guy who has to put up with him."