Chapter 2: Wrong One

Chapter 2

Wrong One

~Shiloh

I stared at the large box in front of me and then at the pile that was well above my head. The supervisor started to tap his foot as more boxes slid down the ramp. Slipping my arms beneath it, I found it wasn’t too heavy, but it weighed enough I didn’t know if I could hold it that long above my head. Standing on my toes, I maneuvered it up and carefully lifted it on top of the stack. After sliding it into place, I stood back and took a deep breath. It stayed. Nothing fell.

Turning around, I toppled to the ground when a box came flying off the end of the table and hit me just below the knees. I rose up onto my elbows and stared at the boots in front of me.

“Stupid omega.” The supervisor grabbed my hair and pulled me to my feet. “You’re falling behind.” He shoved me toward the table.

“Sorry, Sir,” I whispered. I quickly grabbed the fallen box and placed it on the empty palette. I kept my head down and did my best not to fall behind again for the next few hours.

The buzzer went off, and I finished off the few packages I had left. I went with the other omegas to the break room. We were handed sack lunches when we entered. I went to the table by the far wall and sat in the corner. Other workers sat down, and we ate in silence. One small female’s arm was bleeding.

A supervisor walked slowly through the tables. He motioned to the girl and two others with injuries. They grabbed their lunches and hurried off to see the medic. The man stopped behind me, but didn’t say a word. I did a quick check, but I didn’t see any blood and besides a headache nothing hurt. Leaning down, he put his arm on either side of me. I held my breath.

The man chuckled softly, before grabbing my arm and scanning the chip in my bracelet with his phone.

“Hmmm…” he whispered. “Wrong one.”

I didn’t breathe, until he was gone. Pulling my arm into my lap, I felt sick. West would yell at me for not finishing my food, but I felt so nauseous I didn’t want to eat anymore.

“Ten minutes,” announced a guard from the door.

I tried to eat more, but my stomach was really turning. One simple act had done this to me. It was over now, but I could let it go. What if I hadn’t been the wrong one? I won’t get to say goodbye to West. I might have never seen him again. Taking in a shaky breath, I clasped my forehead. I never wanted my number to be called. Never.

***

Sitting on my bed after the work day ended, I still felt sick. It had affect my work, and they punished me for it. I couldn’t stop it though. The thought of being taken was draining.

“Shy?”

I glanced up and forced a smile for West.

“Come on.” He nodded toward the door. “They’ll stop serve dinner if you don't hurry up.”

I shook my head and hid behind my knees.

West walked over and sat down at the end. “What happened?” He placed his hand on my back and rubbed soft circles.

“A man took my number,” I whispered. “I thought they were going to...”

West sighed. “I’m sorry, Shy.” He pulled me into a hug and placed his head on top of mine.