Chapter 17: A Phone Call

Chapter 17

A Phone Call

~Shiloh

I ran deep into the forest until I could no longer hear them yelling. Gasping for air, I tried to find Becca’s scent. I couldn’t smell anything. I wandered along to where I thought the road might be, but still couldn’t smell anything human.

What if she left me? I laid down in the snow. I’d have to find Ranger on my own if she did. I didn’t even know where to start.

An overpower fluorescent scent filtered through the air. I put a paw over my nose. I didn’t like it at all. There was nothing natural about it. The smell didn’t go away. Rising to my feet, I cautiously followed it.

Through the trees, I spotted Becca waving her arm around, spraying a bottle with a light blue liquid inside.

“Becca!” I shifted to my werewolf and ran out of the trees. I practically tackled her I was so excited she had came for me.

She fell back against the car as I hugged her tightly.

She put her arms around me. “It’s alright.” She rocked me back and forth. “I brought you some clothes.” Taking my hand, she led me to the trunk. Pulling out a bag, she handed it to me. “Hurry and put these on so we can leave.” She left to go get into the car.

Taking out the shirt and sweatpants, I changed to human form and put them on. Snow boots were in the boot as well. I slipped my feet into them. They were too big, but good enough for now. After closing the trunk, I went to the passenger side door and climbed into the vehicle. It was warm. I let out a deep breath, sinking into the cushions.

“Everything go alright?”

I bit my lip. “I hurt one of the guys.” I glanced over at her. “Just a cut on his hand. I had to. It was the only way, or they would have taken me back.”

Reaching over, she put her hand on my knee. “I’m sure he’ll survive, Shiloh, so don’t worry about it.”

I nodded and sunk down in the seat. Becca started the car and pulled onto the road. The sun was starting to set.

“I’m sorry I didn’t bring your treat. I was in such a panic to get here and forgot.”

“It’s okay,” I said with a yawn.

“The perfume worked, though,” she chuckled.

I groaned and covered my nose.

“It wasn’t that bad,” she said, sitting up tall. “That bottle is actually very expensive. I sprayed about half of it, before you show up too, so be thankful.”

My expression remained blank.

Shaking her head, she laughed. “You can put the seat back if you want to sleep. It’ll be about twenty minutes, before we arrive at my house. There’s a handle on the side.”

I felt along the seat and found it. I pulled it up and had the seat snapped up against me.

“You have to lean back,” she chuckled.

I did so and pushed the seat all the way back. Curling into a ball, I let my eyes close. “Thank you for saving me.”

“Don’t mention it, now get some sleep. I’ll wake you up when we get there.”

***