Chapter Twelve

Walking into Pulitzer's office is such an awkward feeling. I genuinely hate it. But, I have to do this for the newsies. The guy in front of us just sort of trotted away while Jack, Dave, and I stood in the doorway, waiting to be let it.

We may be angry, but we've still got manners.

"It's awful. Everyone's calling. Mr. Hearst, Mr. Bennet and the mayor, and such awful language. The city is at a standstill and they blame the chief. It's like the end of the world," some frantic guy said. Jack started to creep in and I followed. "Oh, dear, I didn't say that." the guy said again.

Once Jack and I reached Pulitzer's desk, he pulled out our paper and said, "Extra, extra, Joe." Dave and I glance at each other because Jack just called JOE PULITZER by his first name. "Read all about it," he said again, putting the paper on his desk. Always one for the dramatics, Jack.

Dave and I stood in the back as Jack did what he needed to do. I crossed my arms impatiently, waiting for somebody to say something.

If I could kill silence, I would.

"I promised that if you defied me, I would break you. I'll keep that promise, boy."

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Now, I gave you the chance to be free. I don't understand. Anyone who doesn't act on his own self-interest is a fool."

I had had enough of this bastard patronizing us. "And what does that make you?" David's face turned to me in fear.

"Are you crazy?" he whispered.

"Maybe," I said, walking up to the desk as well with Dave speed walking behind me.

"Oh, these are my pals, David and Jolynn," Jack told him. "The mouth and the brains." Jack leaned over on a mantel piece or whatever, waiting for me to continue, so I did.

"You talk about self-interest, but since the strike, your circulation has been down 70 percent. Every day you're losing thousands of dollars just to beat us out of one lousy tenth of a cent. Why?" Dave scoffed behind me.

"No wonder he called you the brains."

"You see, it ain't about the money, Joey. If the big guy gives in to nobodies like us, that means we got the power. And he can't do that, no matter what it costs. Am I right Joe?" Jack said. I don't like that this sick scabber has the same name as me.

Pulitzer let out a puff of smoke from his cigar, "I sent for the police," he says. "They must be here by now. Send them in, Seitz. Send them in."

"I'm not going back to jail, Joe," Jack shouted." Look out here. Right out here is where your power ends!" Jack turned the windows opened and you could hear all the newsies and all the factory kids cheers and yells.

"Close the windows! Close the windows!"

Jack walked out and Joe followed. "Stop that infernal noise! Go Home!" he shouted to the newsies. He repeated it, hoping they would hear, but they don't. They won't.

"They don't hear you, buddy," I yelled at him.

He walked back in, demanding I listen to him. "How about you listen to me for a change?" Jack asked him. "There's a lot of people out there, and they ain't just gonna go away."

"They got voices now and they're gonna be listened to." I told him.

"Putting us in jail is not gonna stop them," Dave said, finally.

"That's the power of the press, Joe," Jack said, looking back out the window, then closing it. "So, thanks for teaching me about it."

Suddenly, Seitz spoke up. "Those kids put out a pretty good paper there, chief." Pulitzer took the paper in his hands and started to actually read the paper.