Chapter Six

When we got back, all the Newsies were centered around the statue. 

"Oh. So where's Spot, eh?" Race asked.

"He was concerned about us being serious. Can you imagine that?"

"Well, you know, Jack, maybe we oughta ease off a little, you know," I said. As much as I wanted to see Spot on a daily basis, this was far. I'm not even sure Jack was serious. 

"Without Spot and the others, there's not enough of us, Jack, you know?" Blink reminded him. I could see Jack getting angry.

"Jack, maybe we're moving too soon," Mush said. 

"I definitely think we should forget about it for a while."

"Oh do you?" Jack said, get angrier and angrier.  

Race shrugged. "Yeah, I mean, we're not Brooklyn." I rolled my eyes. I found it hilarious how everyone I knew was so confident in what Spot could do and his abilities.

Everyone except himself.

"Hey, who we kidding here? Spot was right, is it just a game to you guys?" Jack said. They all started to interrupt and protest but it didn't effect him. I just stood awkwardly next to Dave. Until Jack started walking away, behind everyone. I followed him because I didn't want to watch Jack sulk anymore.

"Open the gates and seize the day," he muttered to himself. 

"What was that, Davey?"

"We can't be afraid and delaying won't help us either."

"I know, but no matter what, it all comes down to what Jack says. And right now, he ain't super happy."

"But if we fight, nothing can break us and nobody can make us give our rights away."

"What rights did we even have in the first place, Dave?"

Everyone started to crowd us now, listening to what he was saying. Not sure he even was aware of it. 

"Now is the time to seize the day," he said with some pep in his step.

"We could send out a call to every Newsie! They have to listen to us eventually! We'll make them join!" I said, getting a little more excited.

"We have to right all the wrongs they're doing to us! But we have to stand as one. United." Dave said.

Suddenly we heard the distant sound of a bell. "Anybody hear that?" Jack asked. Everyone yelled a loud 'No'. 

"So, what are we gonna do about it?" I asked. 

"Soak 'em," everyone responded at once. We all ran towards the gates. 

We stood in front of the line as Newsboys started to line to get their papes. Once the first boy got the hint that he wasn't meant to, everyone quickly followed. Jack, Dave and I stood in the front and watched. 

But one of them wanted to rebel. He stood in front us wanting to get through. We didn't let him. he tried to walk away, but Blink stepped in front of him before he could. He turned back to Jack and Jack decided to punch his papes to the ground. 

Soon everyone was fighting. We started to rip papers in half and throw them in the air. 

Then we heard a whistle. One I knew all too well.

I hit Jack's chest as he was dancing in raining papes. "Hey, it's the bulls, cheese it. Cheese it, it's the bulls!" I yelled. Then just as fast as we got there, we were racing out. 

I heard a squeal back at the gates after we had left. I looked around and noticed my brother was nowhere to be found. 

"Jack! Jack!" I shook his arm really aggressively to get his attention.