Chapter Four

Dave and Jack were standing on the terris while I was sitting on a step. Jack and Dave are getting to know each other while I just start to drift. I am really tired.

"So how did your pop get hurt?"

"The factory. It was an accident. He's no good to them anymore so they just fired him. He's got no union to protect him," Dave said. I looked up at him. "I'm sorry, Davey boy. Your family don't deserve that," I told him. He smiled at me. "Thanks Jo, but he'll be back at it as soon as he's healed, I'm sure."

"David," his father called. "It's time to come in now."

"Sure. Hey, why don't you guys stay here tonight? I'm sure we could find the room."

"Uh, no thanks," Jack said. He was trying to get down so I started to follow. "Jack, I'm so tired. I'm not sure I can make it back to the shelter with both eyes open."

"Jo, shut it."

"Shelter?"

"Nothing. She's sleep deprived is all. You stay, Jo, I'll tell Crutchy you're safe," he turned to Dave.

"Your family's real nice Dave. Like mine," Jack said. I may be sleep deprived but I knew what he was doing. He was trying to come off as normal to Dave. I don't blame him. Half the newsies even know that Jack doesn't actually have someone waiting for him in Santa Fe. Dave just nodded. "See you tomorrow," he said.

"All right," Jack said with a stupid grin. "Come on, Jo. I'll show you to Sarah's room."

I actually managed to stand long enough to get to Sarah's room. Then I totally crashed on her bed. She giggled. "You must be really tired, huh?"

"Definitely."

"So," she started. Look, Sarah's great and all but I may not be able to handle all her questions. "What's it like to be a Newsie?"

"Nothin' special. I mean, none of us chose to be Newsies. But we don't got nothin left. Like my brother, Crutchy and I. Our parents ran out on use when we were young. Like- really young. After they found out there was something wrong with Crutchy. We were dropped off at the shelter and haven't left. Other people like Race-"

"Wait- what on Earth are these names? Race and Crutchy?"

"Well some aren't their real names. Crutchy's real name is Charlie, but since he's a crip with only one crutch, we call him Crutchy. I mean, they call Jack Cowboy."

"And what do they call you?"

"Well, normally just Jo or Jolynn. But sometimes they call me Fetcher. Still don't understand why and they refuse to tell me."

"Well, maybe there's some significance to the name," Sarah said. She basically just repeated what I said.

"I'm sure Dave could figure it out."

"Possibly."

When I went back the next morning, they had jacked up the price and we were all angry.

"Do you here that Jack? Ten cents a hundred!" Blink said. "It's bad enough that we gotta eat what we don't sell. Now they jacked up the price! Can you believe that?!"

"This'll bust me. I'm barely making a livin' right now."

"I'll be back sleeping on the streets!"

"It don't make no sense. I mean, all the money Pulitzer's making, why would he gouge us?" Mush said to me and Crutchy. We nodded because we was right. It didn't add up.

"Because he's a tightwad, that's why," here we go again with Race making comments no one asked for. I had enough.

"Hey, come on. Pipe down, it's just a gag!" I said.