Chapter Two

After a long while of teaching Dave everything he needs to know, we finally got on our daily roll. There was a boxing show and we were selling papes as fast as we could. But Davey boy starts asking questions. First rule: don't ask questions.

"What page is that on?"

"Page 9."

"Trash fire next to immigration building terrifies sea gulls?" He reads.

"Terrified flight from inferno!" Jack yells.

"Extra, Extra!" I called while walking in front of him.

Soon, Les came as a close follow.

"Hey, you start in the back like Jack told you?" Les nods. "Okay, show me."

Les fake coughs. "Buy me last pape, mister?" and he coughs again. Jack chuckles behind me. "It's heartbreaking. Go get 'em."

"My father taught us not to lie," Dave says, looking down at us.

"Yeah, well, mine told me not to starve. So we both got an education." Jack replies back.

"You're just making up things. All these headlines."

"Aye, we don't do nothing the guys who write 'em don't do!" I protested. "Anyway, it ain't lying. It's just improving the truth a little."

Just then, I looked up and saw Snyder right across from us. "Jack, Jack!!" I start slapping his arm. Which finally draws him away from the match. "What, what?" he replies. Until he looks up and sees him. "Come on!"

We start running, and Dave starts calling behind us. "Lets go, Davey!"

I hear behind us while we're in an alley "Stop, I say. Stop!"

Snyder.

He's a total jerk. Always after Jack. Fair to say, Jack escaped Snyder's jail but why not let him go after a while?

I heard him yell 'Sullivan'. Is that Dave and Les' last name? That doesn't make any sense. They just came from no where and Jack's last name is Kelly. And I mean, mine definitely isn't Sullivan.

Anyway, Jack and I were ahead, and once we were on the roof of some building, we jumped. But it was only about 4 feet down. Nothing was gonna break. Jack poked his head up to show them we were you know... alive. They jumped down and Stupid Snyder didn't even look at us.

As we were getting to where we were gonna hide, Dave stops us.

"I'm not running any further!"

Jack and I exchanged looks and looked back at him. Jack pointed to the door behind him.

When we got into the backstage area, Dave started talking again.

"I want some answers. Who is he and why was he chasing you? And what is this Refuge?"

"I swear, you're like a walking mouth." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Refuge is jail for kids." Jack says.

"You were in jail?" Les asks him in amazement.

I'm standing next to Dave while Jack is leaning against the stairs, and while he's talking to Les about being in jail, I start talking to Dave.

"So, why'd you join the Newsies if you can't live with the excitement?"

"What do you mean I can't live with it?"

"Well, you got angry by the running from Snyder."

"Because I don't like being seen as a criminal."

"Well, if you'se gonna be a Newsie, you'se gonna be a seen a ciminal material. you got that, Davey Boy?"

"Fine."

A few minutes later, Medda walks out. She doesn't see us and starts shooing us away. "Now you wouldn't kick me out without a kiss goodbye, would ya, Medda?" That stupid Jack Charm. Always has everyone falling for him. Medda's face softens immediately.

"Oh, Kelly," and she starts laughing.

"Hya, there, Medda." I say because she's clearly forgotten anyone else is here. "Oh, Jolynn Morris. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"It has indeed, Miss Medda." I gave her a small smile.

'Oh, modest and humble as always." She says, ruffling my hair. I chuckle slightly.

"So, Medda. This is David and Les." Jack introduces. "And this is Miss Medda Larkson, the Swedish meadowlark."

"Medda owns the joint." I say.

Medda leans over to talk to Les. She's praising him for his adorableness. No one blames her.

Les starts coughing. I look over at Jack and he's grinning.

"Are you alright?" Medda asked him.

Les puts on the British accent and goes "Buy me last pape, lady?" then starts coughing again.

"Oh you are good." She starts laughing. And so do I. She turns to look a Jack and I. "This kid is really good."

"Learned from the best." I say, standing up straight.

"No is the best you? Or Jack."

"Me," Jack and I both say in unison. Medda starts laughing.

"So is it alright we stay a little bit? Just 'till our little problem outside goes away." Jack says.

"Oh sure, sure," She turns to Dave. "Stay as long as you'd like." Some waiter comes behind Dave and me and Medda walks towards him. "Toby, just give my guests whatever they want." Toby nods.

We go into the showroom and watch Medda. I love Medda honestly, but I'm not as mezmorized by her like everyone else. Maybe it's because I'm a girl.