Chapter Seven

We were invited by Denton to eat at this restaurant. Not high-class-paris style but still homely. He walked in and immediately showed us the pape with our faces on the front. 

I was sitting next to Mush and Dave when Denton slammed the pape on the table. A waiter was trying to give us our food but I ignored it, trying to find myself in the picture. I found myself near the right next to spot.

It was obvious he was gripping my hand from behind but no one else seemed to notice.

"Where does it say my name," Spot asked, leaning over Jack's shoulder.

"Quit thinking about yourself," Jack spat at him. Spot looked up at me like a reflex, but I didn't even say that. I looked away and started to look at the paper again.

"Well, you got us on the front page," Dave exclaimed.

"You got yourselves on the front page. I just gotta make sure you stay there," Denton responded.

"So what, you get your picture in the papes. What does that get you, huh?"

"What are you talking about, huh?" Mush shouted at the kid.

"Hey shut up! You've been in a bad mood all day," I said.

"I'm not in a bad mood."

"You've been glum and dumb. What's the matter with you? You're in the papes, you're famous. You're famous, you get anything you want! And that's what's so great about New York!" Race yelled.

Mush turned around and leaned on a chair. "A pair of new shoes with matching lases," Mush started to say.

"A permanent box at Sheepshead races," Race said to follow. I think they're talking about what they want to come from this. At least for themselves.

Spot walked over to me and leaned one arm on me while his other held a glass. "A porcelain tub with boiling water."

"Really? That's your dream?"

"Well actually.."

"A Saturday night with the mayor's daughter," Blink said, standing on the table.

"Look at me! I'm the king of New York," I said, well, more like sang. I held the paper up. "Ain't I pretty? It's my city."

"I'm the king of New York," Jack and I said in unison.

Four boys leaned back in their chairs and I watched as they slowly guided the chairs back onto the ground.

"A corduroy suit with fitted knickers," Boots said.

"A mezzanine seat to see the flickers," Les said, following Boots. I laughed at what he said.

"Havana cigars that cost a quarter." He knows what Havana is?

"An editor's desk for the star reporter," Dave went on. Ah yes, please, make this about Denton again.

"Tip your hats boys, he's the real king of New York," Jack said, happily.

"He made the headline just out of a hunch," Blink said.

"Protecting the weak," Denton said. We're weak to him?

"And he's paying for lunch!" I shouted.

Randomly, Mush, Jack, and Dave got on tables while Blink was pulling me up on one. We started dancing like maniacs, yet I was the only one with any rhythm.

"Wouldn't it be a miracle of some sort that Pulitzer was crying?" Les asked.

"Yeah, and Weasel died?" Race finished. I threw a loaf of bread at him to shut him up.