Teammates

Perspective: (y/n)

In the moment in which our wheels touch, I know one of us messed up. I'm on the outside, while Valtteri keeps pushing me wide. We barely avoid touching for a second time, but I can't keep the car on the circuit. I get onto the grass and try to keep the car under control.
When I get back on the circuit I lost two places.
"Is everything alright?"
I hope nothing got damaged. The start was already bad enough.
"It looks like you don't have any damage."
"He didn't leave any space."
"Please try to drive more careful next time."
I ignore Mike's words while I try to chase down the car in front of me.

Lap: 5

I keep closing on the Williams as Latifi drives down the main straight. Feeling how much faster my car is, I pull to the outside. As we reach the corner I go the long way around him.
"Nice job, mate."
I see the back end of Valtteri's car as I start chasing him. I need to prove that I'm better than him. I need to overtake him.
"Gap is 0.7 seconds. Don't fight with Valtteri."
"I won't, if he let's me past."
Mike doesn't answer me. I keep closing in as we reach turn three. Valtteri defends, although he knows I'm way faster than him right now.
"Let me past, man."
Once we get out of the corner, I use my DRS to go past him on the outside. Once I manage to do that, I start focusing on the AlphaTauri in front of me.

Lap: 52

"Gap?"
"1.2 seconds."
I exit turn nine and make my way towards the next corner. Norris is ahead of me but not for much longer. Once I get out of turn ten I accelerate immediately. I try to get into the McLaren's slipstream. As I close up to Norris I hear Mike over the radio.
"Gap is 0.9."
I get around the first corner.
"You are now on DRS."
Pressing the right button, I open my rear wing and start passing Norris. Once I reach the third corner, I'm already able to set my eyes on the next target. The Haas.

Perspective: Nayeon

"Here comes (y/n) Lee now! Right behind the Haas of Magnussen as he goes through the last corner! Now he can open his rear wing and get past the Haas! The extra speed helping him to go around the outside! Now he is chasing after the second Haas! Schumacher is barely out of reach for Lee's DRS after the first corner!"
After (y/n) and his teammate touched at the start, Tzuyu explained his situation. There are now three drivers in his team. But only two are allowed to drive. That's why (y/n) is giving it everything. He wants to keep racing.
For me it looks like he is doing pretty well. He is now already up to ninth place.

The camera follows (y/n), who seems to be driving way faster than the car in front of him.
"As Schumacher goes into turn four, he is still beyond that DRS threat! But Lee keeps closing in! He got past the other Haas earlier in this lap! Now he is having a go at the other one! He is now pushing Schumacher whide as they both enter turn six! You don't usually see an overtake here, but Lee finishes the move  with perfection! He slides past the Haas and into 8th place!"

Perspective: (y/n)

Lap: 57

Using the DRS system, I manage to get past Alonso on the main straight. Despite the bad start, I'm having a really good run today. The next car ahead is Russel. I've been following him for a while now. Usually there was always one car in between the two of us, but I just got past Alonso. At the same time I get a radio message from Mike.
"Sainz has a power unit problem. At least that's what it looks like."
"Understood."
"There are yellows towards turn four. Yellows in turn four."
As I get past the spot where Sainz car is standing, I see it's burning. Ferrari really has some problems with their cars.

Lap: 61

Going through the last corner, I hear Mike once more.
"Russell just got past Ocon at turn three. Ocon is now the car ahead. He is slower than you."

Lap: 71

"That's it, mate. That's the checkered flag. P5 for you today. Nice job, getting past Ocon at the end."
"Thanks for the great teamwork as well."
While driving around the circuit on the cool down lap, I see a Korean flag being waved in one of the stands. I wave at the people holding it as I drive by.
At first I didn't really care if people liked me or not. But now it feels kinda great. When I get recognized on the streets people wanna get my autograph and sometimes they want to take pictures. I enjoy the attention more than I thought I would, but it's still great having my time allone. Spending my whole weekends with the team is already exhausting.

When I meet Mike after the race, he has a serious look on his face. I look at him with curiosity.
"The team principle wants to talk with you."
"About what?"
"About what happened today. And your future here."
"Are you coming with me?"
"Yes, he asked for me too."
I realize this might actually be pretty serious as we head up the stairs.