His eyes found mine only seconds before I was in front of him and I watched as his eyebrows pulled together in confusion as if he was trying to remember who I was. I stopped a few inches away from him with my arms crossed, and his eyes lit in realisation before a lopsided smile grew on his face. 

"My princess," he mumbled in a slur as his eyes drooped. He smelled disgusting, as if he puked and bathed himself afterwards in alcohol. 

I avoided the butterflies in my stomach when he said that and mustered up enough courage to do what I came to do--what I left home and had been searching all night for him to do. 

"We need to talk," I said sternly, and his eyebrows shot up in what seemed like amusement as he reached for me. 

"Oh? You wanna marry me instead of that duke don’t you?" The venom in his voice was evident, and it made me realise that this was the reason why he's like this now. 

Guilt rose in me, but I quickly dismissed it before leaning closer to  him which I immediately regretted. "I said, we need to talk." I didn’t wait for a reply,  only held him by the collar and dragged him from the bar. 

I almost moaned when the fresh air hit me, eliminating all the stench and high scent of liquor that inside provided. I let go of Drew and he stumbled and fell to his bottom before rubbing his eyes. 

"Ouch that hurt," he mumbled as he shuffled to get up. I watched him in annoyance, knowing I probably won't get much out of him like this, but I could at least try. 

Who knows? Maybe he's an honest drunk. 

"Get a grip on yourself Drew. I need to ask you a few questions." 

"How did you find me?" he asked in a low, almost disappointed voice. He met my eyes again, and they seemed a little bit more focused, as if he was sobering up a bit. 

I grabbed my water bottle from my holder on my bike and threw it at him. I was shocked when he caught it, but he eyed it weirdly. 

"This won't help me if you want me to get sober," he slurred, but drank anyway. Shivers ran down my spine when he licked his lips, making them glisten under the moonlight. 

Get a grip Amber! 

"What do you need then?" 

"You can't help," he mumbled, making his way back inside but I grabbed onto him to keep him from leaving. It then occurred to me that he's a vampire, and vampires drink blood. 

This went against everything that I believed in, but not even twenty-four hours ago, I didn’t believe that I could be the mate of a bloodsucker. So in order to get what I want, I made a tough call. 

I grabbed my dagger from my waistband and made a slice in my hand, barely wincing as it opened my skin. Drew's eyes watched me in confusion as I held my palm out for him. He didn’t even take a whiff.