Chapter Twenty-Six: Cant or Wont

Start from the beginning

Cal hid against the wall, trying to listen to the conversation unfolding. Her heart sounded in her chest like a drum solo. She wanted to go and help Robby, but she didn't want to make him feel emasculated or induce more ire from his friends. So she stayed within the shadows, close enough to jump in if necessary, but far enough to not be seen.
"What's up bro? You got the code?"
"Yeah, I got it." Robby states, making Cal's eyes widen. She can feel tears start to pool at her waterline. Her chest ached at the thought of him giving into his past urges and doing something so cruel to the people who have been so kind to him.
"I told you my boy would come through!"
"Mm." Cruz doesn't sound entirely as convinced as Trey or Cal, who is wrestling with her want to cuss the living daylights out of the three boys and her need to protect herself.
"What're you waiting on man? Let's do it. Where's the code?"

There's a pregnant pause before Robby speaks up, "I can't."
"Can't what? Remember the code?"
"Sorry. I mean, I won't. I always get those two confused." Cal let's out a shaky breath. Her shoulders fall as she breathes deeply, wiping away any escapee tears.
"Robby, Robby. Come on man! Don't do this. Just open the goddamn door."
"It's not gonna happen." Robby stays firm. Cal puts the plate of food down on the ground, getting ready to leap in to defend her boyfriend at any cost - personal safety be damned.

"He's really gonna make me have to do this huh?" She can hear an impact but without the accompanied groan, she assumes it was blocked.
"Ooo! What ninja boy teach you some karate or something?" The boys laugh. Cal peeks her head over the shrubbery, watching as Robby blocks some hits before being pulled by his shirt. The second they appear to get the upper hand with Robby now kicked back into Trey's arms, she makes herself known.

"Hey jackasses!"
"Oh look at that! Your little bitch is coming to save you." Cruz snickers.
"She's not a bitch!" Robby yells, kicking him in the face before elbowing Trey to get out of his hold. Cal gets closer to them, grabbing Cruz and pushing him towards Trey's awaiting fist, knocking him to the ground.
"Dude you good?" Trey asks.
"Watch it bro!" Cal smirks at their inability to work together.

Cal grips Cruz's shirt while Robby handles Trey. She knees him in the nose before turning back to go to Robby only to be gripped by her hair and punched in the jaw. Cal falls to the floor in a heap, rubbing her now aching jaw as her eyes well up. Robby's eyes fall upon her crumpled body laying on the asphalt, making his blood boil. The split second loss of focus allows Trey and Cruz an opening to gang up on him. Trey tackles him making him fall beside her on the floor. Robby grabs Cal's hand before he's ripped away from her by his shirt, asphalt scraping his arm. Cruz now holds her by her neck as Robby crawls against the wall away from Trey's hold.

"Don't touch her man. Just let her go!" He seethes, attempting to get up.
"Come on man. We told you to bring her around so we could have our turn! Now seems like the perfect time! We'll even let you watch!" Cal hears them snicker before she reels her head forward and then back into Cruz's, hearing the satisfying crunch of teeth accompanied by a deafening wail. Cruz falls to the floor, letting Cal use him as a step stool to punch Trey square in the mouth before she tucks and rolls towards the wall Robby had found refuge against.

"Nowhere to run." Trey bites, spitting blood from his mouth.
"Nowhere to hide." Robby states, pointing up at the security camera. The boys look up, immediately deflating their egos at the sight of the blinking red light. They turn their sneers towards the teens, "You two better watch your asses!" Cruz threatens, holding his gushing nose before he and Trey run off.

"Fuck are you okay flower?" Robby asks, panting as he turns towards her. He holds her face in his hand, examining the pale expanse now marred by blood and bruises.
"I'm fine. I told you I'd kick their teeth in." Robby laughs nodding, trying not to let her see how much it pained him to see her go through that... and for someone who almost gave in too.
"Are you okay?" Cal wonders.
"I'm good. I'm sorry. I was trying to make it right. I swear I wasn't going to let them in."
"You thought about it though didn't you?" Robby looks away in shame, nodding.
"I'm sorry. I'm trying to unlearn it. I'm trying to make it better, to be better. For you, for the LaRussos, even for myself. I'm so sorry Cal. Please you have to believe me." Cal sighs, looking up from her lap.
"I believe you Robby." She assures him, holding the side of his face.

"I'm so so sorry flower. I promise I won't let them anywhere near you or your family again."
"It's okay. At least we know we can handle them." Cal smiles.
"With injuries, your poor head." Robby sighs, touching the back of her head gently and rubbing her cheek lightly.
"Eh I've had worse." Cal laughs, putting her forehead to his own.
"I'm going to text my aunt that I'm staying over at a friend's because if I go back like this I am getting a fuck ton of questions I don't want to have the answers to." Robby nods with a smile, watching Cal run towards the back lot, leaving him alone with his thoughts. She could have gotten seriously hurt. She could have been... he shuddered at the thought, quickly coming to the resounding conclusion that there would be no more delinquents in his life.

-

"Think I could take a shower and maybe borrow some clothes?" Cal asks softly as Robby locks the door.
"Yeah, yeah. Uh let me grab you something." Robby runs to his room grabbing a clean shirt and some boxers from his dresser drawer.
"Okay, here. They're clean." Robby smiles, handing over the clothing.
"Thanks. Now you eat. I'll shower, and we can get some well deserved sleep." Robby nods, sitting down at the island.

Cal takes a quick shower, making sure she's gotten all the blood off her body and inspecting the back of her head in the mirror before she clips up her hair and walks out towards the kitchen.
"Hey." She smiles, blushing as she steps closer to Robby's wide eyed stare.
"H-hey." Robby stutters, clearing his throat before he speaks again, "You... you look good in my clothes..."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah, really, really good." Robby smiles, moving towards her until he can grab her hips and pull her towards him.

"How good?" Cal teases, nudging his nose with her own.
"Good enough to eat." He chuckles against her lips.
"Yeah? You're not satiated?" Cal giggles, snaking her hands around his neck and into his hair.
"Not when you look like this." Robby laughs, closing the space between them.

He kisses her differently this time. It's like he's trying to make sure she's real and not a fantasy. He's pressing his entire body into her own, gripping her hips tight enough to leave bruises. Cal smiles into the kiss, her teeth clashing against his own as she giggles.
"I'm not going anywhere Robby. I'm here." She whispers, looking into his eyes.
"I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so... rough?" Robby sighs, stepping away from her with his head hung. Cal smiles softly, stepping closer to his slumped form and tilting his chin up.
"It's okay. I don't mind it. It just felt different. Not bad different, just different. I know it's been a lot today. I just want you to relax, okay?" Cal smiles, tugging him forward by his belt. Robby nods, smiling again.

"Think I could kiss you again?" Cal smiles, gripping the back of his head and bringing his lips to hers in a fervent kiss. The slotting of their lips in perfect tandem has soft groans emanate from deep in Robby's chest. She puts her hand on the center of his chest fisting his shirt as he tentatively licks the seam of her lips. Cal smiles before opening her mouth to him, letting their tongues dance together. The two share soft pants into the other's mouth, the kissing never ceasing. That is until Cal's hands find the hem of Robby's shirt and tentatively pull it up, letting her fingers scratch at his abdomen. Robby stops the kiss to rip the shirt off, tossing it onto the floor before diving back into her awaiting lips. He grabs underneath Cal's legs, walking them back to his room where he lays her down softly.

Cal smiles as the kisses slow down before her jaw and neck receive the same treatment. Only this time a short pain was felt in her neck.
"Robby!" Cal whines.
"What? Are you okay?" He questions, looking at her face in worry.
"I'm fine. You can't leave marks though! I'm going to have to figure out a way to cover them up!"
"I'm only hearing I can't leave marks where they'll be seen?" Robby attempts cheekily.
"I guess its not swimsuit season just yet." Cal smirks, watching a wide smile adorn his features.
"Oh flower, I don't think you know what you signed up for."