Chapter Twenty One

His voice echoed throughout the entire valley, reverberating throughout the keep's courtyard. The statement exploded from like a musket ball cutting through the air, aimed directly at his sons.

"What have the two of you got to say for this nonsense?!"

Her grandfather's knuckles were dripping a small bead of blood from where he had deflected the flying hammer.

"But father, of course we were just having a little fun." Her father stated, swaggering over to her uncle and throwing an arm over his shoulder.

Great. So he was drunk and trying to start shit with uncle Vilgis, again.

"Father I..."

"I said ENOUGH!"

The noise made Blair's ears hurt, causing her to wince slightly at the sound. He seemed to have noticed her reaction because he lowered his tone slightly.

The crowd that had previously gathered had dispersed since they arrived, leaving them to be the only four still standing in the courtyard.

"Now that we are all together, I figured we could get a short recounting of the last few days event's for Blair. Agreed?"

"Sure, sounds good. I guess. I dont got nothing better to do right now, I suppose."

Her dad really could be an ass.

"Yes of course, father. Blair I am deeply sorry I wasn't there to meet you." He gave a low formal bow with the apology.

At least uncle Vilgis was always there for her.

"Now. You had concerns for the trials, child?" Her grandfather inquired of her, asking about her earlier outburst when she arrived.

"Okay... well I don't really know where to start. I mean... how is this even something we are okay with? Why is this something that we not only allow, but force people to go through?"

She began pacing back and forth now, going in a large circle around all of them. She was throwing her hands around in order to emphasize her exasperation.

"It just isn't fair! Do you know how many people died out there?!? This happens every year! I just don't understand!" She screamed the last part, dropping to her knees and falling to the ground in a fit of despair.

She sat there for several moments, silently sobbing while thinking of the friends she just lost; it wasn't until she felt a hand upon her shoulder and looked up that her grandfather gave an answer.

"I can't explain why. I am sorry for that, I truly am. I wish to see this death and pain no more than you, but it is something that can not be helped."

"Ha! Screw that, we do it because it's damned fun my brat daughter! Don't worry, you will grow a spine eventually! Ya know, when I was your age I actually was scared to enter the woods and go on the hunt myself. You will come to love the thrill eventually though."

Her grandfather glared at her dad, she looked over to her uncle and saw him silently standing; his head was hung low and she could see the faint sparkle of tears glistening upon his cheeks.

"No you fool! The trials are by no means fun, of course, I once thought as you now do; so I cannot fault you for how I raised you. Blair, we must perform Kimas because it has been demanded of us by the gods. Do you understand? Without Kimas we wouldn't have the blessing of the gods, and without their blessing we are without our magic. That is something that simply cannot happen for humanity."

He stated it as if that made everything better. But it didn't, it was just an excuse! An excuse for humans to be lazy and greedy, growing fat off the life of others. She was disgusted by the idea, but there was no way she could say that to them.