Chapter Two

Vilgis watched as his brother walked through the cove of trees that they were using during the last few days of the Amzia festival, a two week event which was overseen by the city council, the Visagalice church, and the magical school Verkins together; a responsibility he had been begrudgingly receiving from the headmaster for the last six years now.

The festival started with five days of celebration throughout the country; the city council normally prepares venues and provisions during those five days. The following six days are dedicated to the church and school, who each have three days to instruct the populace on their respective fields. All children who had or would be turning twelve within the year were taken out into the wilderness for the last four days, a time known as Kimas; and made to survive using their own wits and strength, all those who make it to the end of the final day have proven their worth and ability to contribute to society.

He turned away from the now stirring children while Desmond barked orders to speed them along. He listened to the sweet songs of birds and bugs only heard by early risers, while still thinking upon the practices of the Amzia festival with a small kernel of disgust building within the pit of his stomach; the same one felt every year since he began this horrid duty.

No matter how long he surveyed Kimas it never got any easier to witness.

Normally the kernel would grow until the last day, and on the morning of the last day it would disappear; the last day normally being the safest, the children who made it to that day almost always survived.

He couldn't figure out what was bugging him so much, but that kernel was burning a hole of anxiety into him and he wasn't sure if he would be able to conceal it. The children weren't a problem of course, but Desmond would know something was bothering him; he wouldn't be able to tell him anything except that he had a bad feeling, Vilgis was certain it would just be laughed off. Especially because this group was the best one seen in years, of the 20 children being examined by them only one has died thus far. Of course that same couldn't be said for the hundreds of other groups that were taken out by others.

He turned back towards the children as the last of them slowly clambered out of their sleeping bags and began rolling up their mats. Vilgis scanned the area and noticed that Blair was nowhere to be seen; however, he did see her bed roll already tucked away in her pack, and noted that her spear was absent as well.

He continued silently observing while they woke up, brushed their teeth, stowed away belongings and donned their hunting boots. Taking note of those who prepared their gear and stowed their sleeping mats before blundering off to relieve themselves.

Several of the children were already inspecting the weapons they would be using later in the afternoon hunt. The most proficient of them had everything stored within their packs, checked over weapons and gear and were now collectively gathering firewood to start breakfast.

Vilgis wandered away from the camp while idly breaking up loose strands of tobacco between his fingers, he shoved some into a paper and smoothly rolled it with a deftness that only came from years of practice. He licked the paper shut while reaching into the small leather pouch that rested upon his belt; he grabbed a small pinch of the aether dust he carried within it, and while muttering the simple command for fire snapped together the fingers holding the dust. A small orangish-red orb with a surface that appeared like a miniature, burning hot sun appeared at the tip of his finger, which he held up to the cigarette igniting it with a long, slow pull; he flicked his hand back and forth to extinguish the flame, and allowed the familiar tingling sensation to shoot through his body as his stomach finally eased itself into a more relaxed state.

"Don't you know that stuff will kill you?" He suddenly heard the shrill voice of Blair exclaiming with a huff as she came into view, standing in the now rising sunlight within a copse behind him. For just a moment, the blinding sun made it nearly impossible to see anything except an outline; until she stepped into the shadows just enough that he could finally make out her features.