Chapter Five

Blaire moved cautiously into the maw of the cave, clinging tightly to the rock on her right hand side; although there was no light down the tunnel they followed, she was able to see as easily as if a lantern illuminated the area.

Rodkin took the lead of Selyne's group across the way, about fifteen feet away from her own group; confidently guiding the others, seemingly able to see as well as herself. She made out barely audible whispers from him that would warn the others of things to watch out for like a pothole or a slick wet spot.

From this distance for some reason, she could've sworn his voice sounded like the gentle, melodic sound of waves lapping against the beach.

They moved slowly through the tunnel, heading further downward into the mountains, too slowly for her liking; but it couldn't be helped, nearly all the other children were barely bumbling through as it was. If they went any faster, the others were sure to get lost in the darkness.

After what felt like hours, but Blair knew from her pocket watch it had only been about thirty minutes, the tunnel suddenly opened up into a large circular cavern that contained a four-way juncture. There were large stalactites upon the rocky ceiling that contained long, thick, pearly white strands of webbing that hung from them.

The air was hot and stuffy, a slightly sulphurous odor lingered paired with an overpowering stench of decay that made the children gag; a few of those with less situational control began loudly retching at the smell but were swiftly silenced by the rest, fearful the noise would draw unwanted attention. All of them had difficulty breathing compared to the cool, crisp air they had become accustomed to while staying in the mountains during Kimas.

The entire room was basked in a luminescent blueish-green glow that emitted from the plant life growing upon the walls; which were wet and slick, water dripping from stalactites.

With the return of their eyesight, so too returned their confidence; many of the children began to fan out, investigating the new room with an eager interest.

After a moment, the first to speak out was Henry Phillips, a quiet, shy, boy with medium length shaggy, curly black hair, amber eyes above a small upturned nose, and a strong, rounded jawline; the only notable clothing he wore was a heavily faded bluish-green colonial style long coat with a high collar, and black squeaky sea boots.

"If you all look above the doorways, there is a symbol at each one; the one we just came from has a cave above it, which must mean the entrance right? Well the other tunnels have a goblin, a chest, and I think that is an ant?"

"You said a chest right? Like a treasure chest? That must be the way to the treasure room!" Kirvu rushed forward with a gleeful look on his face; his younger brother Ietes followed shortly behind, with an expression equal to his brothers while lumbering forward.

All she could do was stare in horror as she watched the fool suddenly lurch forward. He had moved too fast for her to even say anything in time, let alone do anything to actually try and stop him.

Kirvu passes the threshold of the tunnel entrance, a single snap rebounded off the stone floor; but before anybody could realise what the noise came from, an axe erupted from a slit in the floor. It embedded itself into Kirvu's skull like a sharp knife slicing into an apple; the axe slowly retreated back into the ground, pulling the corpse towards the floor with it and releasing a sickly squelching sound as the axe dislodged from the body. A small, thin, silvery wire could now be seen laying loosely on the ground, and wrapped around Kirvu's foot.
"Ietes don't go any further! No! Stop!" It was too late for both of them. He wasn't hearing a word she said.

Ietes froze in place alongside his brother, but was unsure of the reason for his stopping, "what's up Ki?" He asked at the same time the body dropped, Ietes stepped forward and repeated his question in shock. Taking another step forward, the revulsion was clear upon his face as he turned his brother's body face up; a canyon had been cleaved down the center of Kirvu's face, exposing the insides of his: mouth, cheeks, jaw, throat, and skull. It was a ghastly visage that was nearly incomprehensible to the young boy, who had been born with his brother and never without.