19. Settled

"Shut up. Just to protect your brother you will say any nonsense?" asked Sreekumar.

"It is no nonsense. You were standing in the middle of Pranavettan's dam with a goon of yours and he stabbed Anand once on the back, then you stabbed him twice on the chest. I know because I heard it from a witness" she spat at him.

Sreekumar's face turned pale and beads of perspiration were visible on his temple.

"It true, isn't it?" asked Vasudev incredulously as he noticed the change in Sreekumar's face.

"No its not", shouted Sreekumar.

"Then why are you sweating?" asked Vasudev.

"Shut up!" shouted Sreekumar.

"Did you kill my ettan?" asked Vasant in a trembling voice and a slap instantly landed on his face and he fell down.

"Shut up you swine", said Sreekumar and he kicked him.

In a split second Vasudev landed a punch on Sreekumar's face and was quickly restrained by his goons. As he got up from the ground, Sreekumar said to a goon to catch hold of Gowri, while the rest restrained Vasudev and Vasant.

"Who saw me killing Anand, tell me?" he shouted at her.

Gowri did not reply and in anger he grabbed her by the chin and screamed into her face, "Who is it?"

"Step away from my family, you SOB" shouted Pranav. As Sreekumar turned towards the voice he encountered six barrels of rifles trained on him and his men immediately trained their guns back at the Kalarikkal brothers.

********************************************************************************************

Below at the foot of the hill Keshavanunni said to Vishnu and Mahadevan who were straggling behind Murali and Damodaran to help their grandfather, "You boys hurry, we will somehow manage to get there". They both nodded to Subramaniyam and ran up the hill with their guns.

"Come on you old man, hurry", said Keshavanunni giving a hand to Subramaniyam to pull him up.

"Old man? I am just two years older than you", said an irate Subramaniyam extending his arm to catch his.

"Yeah, so you are old!", said Keshavanunni pulling him up.

"What I don't understand is why did this moron build a farmhouse on top of a fucking hill" said Subramaniyam panting as he crossed a rain water ravine.

"I just don't know", said Keshavanunni, clearly meaning that he exactly knew the purpose.

*****************************************************************************************

On the other side of the hill, SI Raheem, five constables, Niyaz and Harshan were climbing the hill. Even though some of the policemen had protruding bellies, they were climbing with ease while the slim and trim Niyaz and Harshan were struggling, their faces red with exhaustion.

"Not used to walking are you?" asked Raheem.

They both shook their heads panting while holding onto the rubber trees for support.

******************************************************************************************

Vasudev and Gowri quickly helped up a bleeding Vasant to his feet and Vasudev pulled both of them behind himself.

"Your family?" sneered Sreekumar.

"Yes, they are my family now", said Pranav.

"How could you kill Anand? He was your brother", said Vasudev.