14. Locked

Vasudev stayed with Gowri's family for a few days after they came back from hosptial, but he had to leave for business. After he and Gowri's father left for work, Padma came to her bedroom and sat down patting the baby to sleep.

"Gowri, Ashok is not premature, am I right?" she asked her.

Gowri swallowed in fear as she looked into her mother's eyes, she was just confirming something she knew, "Yes".

"That would mean you were pregnant before marriage. Who is the father? Is it Vasudev?" she asked her.

"Amma, its not him, it is Anand", she mumbled.

"What! The boy who died?" asked her mother in shock.

"Yes Amma. He was my senior in college and we were in a relationship since my first year", she replied.

"Gowri, how could you keep this from me. And how could you cheat Vasudev! Who else knows about this?" Padma asked incredulously.

"I knew that you won't approve. And I did not cheat Vasudev, he knew that I was pregnant with Anand's child. I had asked his help in aborting the baby", she said her voice quivering as she kissed her son with regret in her eyes. "But he offered to marry me so that Anand's child might live. Malathi ettathi knew about this as well", she replied.

"Oh my God. And I was doubting the intentions of Vasudev", Padma cried in sadness. After a few minutes she took to calm down she asked Gowri, "What kind of relationship do you have with Vasudev".

"We are just good friends", she replied.

"You are not like husband and wife?" Padma asked her.

"No, we have separate bedrooms and he has never touched me", said Gowri.

"I have seen how he is with you and Ashok, he genuinely likes you and loves Ashok. What I don't understand is why he is doing this? What is he getting out of this sham marriage? He is a young man who should be having a wife in all respect. Gowri, it feels like you are taking advantage of his kindness and I know that my daughter is not like that", said Padma.

"What are you saying Amma?" asked Gowri.

"Gowri, a child knows when its parents are not..... in a relationship. And every child deserves parents who are in love with each other or at least in a partnership with each other", said Padma.

"Amma, I don't think Devettan sees me in that way", mumbled Gowri.

"All I am saying is that for the future of him and you and the baby, why don't you try being in a relationship with him?", asked Padma.

"Amma, he is Anand's brother. I can't...." cried Gowri.

"Dear, you can't deny your past, but neither should you deny a future that you three could have. Take it in whatever meaning you want", said Padma.

Gowri thought about it long and hard for months without letting Vasudev know what was going on in her mind and finally she arrived at a decision. All she needed was permission from someone.

When Ashok turned five months old, Gowri decided to go back to Kaniyankara. Vasudev had picked her up, but instead of taking her home, he took her to Paarakkal after taking her to Kalarikkal so that Anand's parents could see Ashok. They reached in the morning and after having breakfast Gowri took Ashok to explore around Paarakkal house, but her destination was Anand's asthithara the place where a pedestal in the name of Anand was made. It was in a grove behind his home. She stood there in front of it and gently placed Ashok's tiny hands on it.

"Here is your son, Anand, he looks just like you. Both he and I miss you very much; we wish you were here, but you can't be. I remember you telling me how you wanted our children to sleep in your arms. Sadly, that never came true, you were long gone before that. I am angry and upset at the world for taking you away from us. But now when I look at our child's face, I think I should not delve in the past. Both he and I need a future where we could be a family and for that I should move forward, from you. Anand, I love you and you will always be the love of my life. But I have to honor the man who had taken your place and held our child in his arms and loved him as his own. Bless our son and give me permission and courage to make a future with him", tears were falling freely from her eyes and she bend down and kissed the side of the monument and said, her voice quivering in the wind and heart aching with sadness, "Please wait for me in the next life, I will hurry to you".

Gowrigaatha - A love story [Completed](The story of Gowri)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें