The Final Countdown

As you made your way into the gymnasium, you took it all in. This was what the air would've felt like back in 1984. This excitement, the buzz.

The anxiety.

The announcer was enthusiastic as he spoke over the excited crowd. You smiled to friends you knew, waved, and even made small conversation until you saw Amanda in the stands. She patted the seat next to her, and you squeezed your way past a few people on the bleachers to get to her side.

You smiled at Sam solemnly, who turned her eyes down to the dirty floor. Her and Miguel had just broken up, you knew that much based on the conversation you and Robby had the other night. Apparently there was a big fight at the beach party.

You remembered what that feeling was like.

On the other side of Sam, sat an uninterested Anthony. And in between Sam and her mother, was Daniel. The two of you hadn't exactly left on good terms...

And he was currently holding your biggest secret captive.

It wasn't that you didn't trust Daniel, it was unfortunately just that he had given you many reasons why you shouldn't.

Just then, as the announcer was welcoming in the dojos, you heard chanting in the distance. Your ears perked up at the sound and a trail of goosebumps ran up your arm. It was Cobra Kai.

They were chanting Cobra Kai.

You laughed to yourself. Of course Johnny would have them make a grand entrance. You wouldn't expect anything less, especially with the new gi's.

But your world seemed to stop spinning when you heard the announcer call another name, unaffiliated with a dojo, and completely on its own.

Robby Keene.

You sat upright, a chill running down your spine. He didn't tell you he was competing.

You looked over slightly, catching Daniel's eye. He was looking at you as well, a solemn look on his face. But yet, there was also a sense of distaste. He almost looked as though he wanted you to look disappointed that Robby was competing.

But in all actually, you felt a surge of pride.

So, as any nervous person would do, you pretended like Daniel wasn't there. You ignored his shouts at the ref, his sighs of distaste, and the famous head shake that left some referees crying, for the rest of the tournament. And you certainly didn't want to focus on the feeling of your heart pounding in your chest. You had to be present in the moment, letting all of your worries about the outcome of this tournament fade away.

But it was then that Johnny whispered into Miguel's ear, his eyes locked on Daniel's. Your attention was grabbed at that moment, you plaid close attention to the body language of them both. But it wasn't their body language you should have noticed first.

Because Miguel Diaz fell into a crane kick stance at that moment, and kicked his enemy directly in the chin.

"I can't believe he stole your move!" Sam hissed.

Johnny smiled, looking from Daniel, and then to you.

Gulping, you turned away. The last thing you wanted was a real fight to break out amongst the crowd.

Instead of feeding into it, you and Amanda chatted whilst making comedic commentary over the announcer's voice. It felt good to watch from the sidelines with a friend. You winced with every blow, cheered for every victory, and applauded every victor. Even when Aisha was hurt and Sam ran after her, you felt more of a connection to the audience than the dojo itself. You felt as though everything were moving in slow motion, and there was nothing you could do about it. In a sense, you almost felt hopeless.