Motherly Instincts

You and Abuela conversed in Spanish about the situation for a little while. You let a few tears slip, as you gave into all of the overwhelming emotions that were taking over you. She was right there for you though, of course, with a box of tissues in hand.

Not much time had passed before you noticed Carmen walking into the living room. Your eyes fluttered to the clock.

5:00 a.m.

Carmen was just getting up for work, and was clearly not expecting company at such an early hour.

"Mama?" She questioned, "¿Qué está sucediendo?" What's going on?

"Ah," Rosa smiled wearily, "Señora Lawrence está teniendo algunos problemas en casa y necesitaba un lugar para pasar la noche." Mrs. Lawrence is having some problems at home and needed a place to stay for the night.

Next to her, you laughed nervously. "Engañame, ya es de mañana." Foolish me, it's already morning.

Carmen cleared her throat before saying your name with a hint of caution, and switching the conversation to English. "Is everything alright?"

"It will be... eventually," you brushed it off, "I'm feeling much better now that I've been able to get it off my chest with Abuela, here."

"Oh..." Carmen fidgeted with her robe, "I have some extra time before work. I'll go get dressed and we can talk about it over breakfast? If that's okay with you, of course."

"That's perfectly fine by me," you smiled wide in attempt to hide the tears you had just released, "Gracias."
•••
"So then the guys torched his car. I couldn't believe it... I kind of just stood there in shock at first. But then he took my car and headed straight for Daniel's and I... I just couldn't stand sitting around and waiting for him to get back. I don't even know if he's back yet... I don't think I even want to know."

As you finished up your long and excruciating story, you began slicing into the pancakes in front of you. Abuela poured a generous amount of syrup on top, telling you in Spanish that you deserved a reward for putting up with everything.

"That sounds incredibly tense." Carmen shuddered as she placed her plate in the sink. You noticed she devoured her food so that she wouldn't be late for work. Your story had taken longer to explain than you thought, but still, Carmen listened and gave her input. "I don't think I could ever possibly imagine being tangled up in that."

"It's not for the faint of heart," you chuckled, "besides, I guess I did sign up for it."

"What makes you say that?" Carmen inquired.

Just then, an image of a younger Johnny flashed across your mind. It was a memory from long ago, one in which you both sat on a grassy cliffside, overlooking the waves below, a daisy behind your ear. It was there where you shared your first kiss in the glimmering shimmer of the pale moonlight.

A small smile tugged on your lips as you released a sigh.

"Even our worst times are like an adventure. I guess I've always felt that way, and I've always had such a deep love for him. I just... can't see my life without him. I'm willing to go through all of this if it means I get to be with him. Because the truth is, I wouldn't want to do the adventure of life with anyone else."

Carmen smiled before crossing the small kitchen, and placing her hands on yours. She leaned down, looking you in the eyes. "Well then, it sounds to me like a little bump in the road never stopped you before. No matter what happens... I know you'll find a way to turn this into an adventure. Just like you said."

You sighed, setting your fork on the plate gently. "It's just... sometimes... it's not just a bump in the road, you know? It's like Mount Everest just grew out of a pothole on the concrete."