Chapter 73 - Egotistic Prince

"That's my truth. I can see that you're angry," Marigold said, picking her glasses back up. "Taro's not to blame, despite me wanting to blame him. You're not to blame for choosing love because I was once in your position. The greens are the ones who will alter your future and probably for the worse. I don't see how they can win an uprising. I don't see how they can safely rise to power."

"Maybe me being their king is all they need." Sage struggled with an inner battle. His mother was right, he was very angry that she wanted to blame Taro for everything. He has done nothing but wake Sage up from his life in a golden box. Taro deserved the credit for their current conversation, one Sage never thought he would have with his mother. "Maybe having a Queen who doesn't respect them is what causes all of this. You're too loud about how they don't deserve to be a part of this family. That sort of stuff can spread quickly. Does Oxley have those same opinions?"

"I'm not sure."

"Then me dating Taro isn't the only thing that's confirming this prophecy." He stood and smoothed down his jumper with dried soil on the front. "Thank you for being honest with me. I hope now you can stop avoiding me because the silence hurts a whole lot more than a screaming match."

Marigold quickly rose too. "I'll always love you. I'm sorry I've not been better at saying it."

"Saying it is one thing, but showing it is what you need to improve on," Sage mumbled with his back to her. But he tilted his head in her direction. "I love you too." He left feeling lighter than he had all day. Love from his parents was all he craved. At least he was one step closer to their relationship returning to normal.

He went to seek out Oxley and was directed all over the Palace by guards who had seen him throughout the day. He eventually stopped a cleaner heading towards the servants' stairwell with a mop in one hand and a bucket in the other. "Those stairs are steep," he said, startling her. Her eyes widened and she bowed quickly. "Would you like help carrying them down?"

"No, Your Royal Highness!" she urged as if the thought alone was insulting.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, absolutely. I do this every day, I'm used to the steepness, sir."

Sage then noticed her green nails, and he smiled to himself. How had he not noticed that half of the staff had green nails? Maybe he didn't see them because he didn't expect them. Or maybe he had never cared enough to wonder why. "Well, while you're here, I just want to ask if you've seen my brother anywhere."

She nodded and looked around before whispering, "I saw him heading towards the maids' quarters about an hour ago."

"Ah." Sage said, not needing more information. "Do you think he'll still be there?" She nodded. "Well, now that you've helped me, let me help you." He lifted a hand. "I'm going in the same direction now anyway."

The cleaner smiled and gave him the bucket. On the way down the narrow stairwell, he asked for her name.

"Lisii," she said, and Sage tried to think through all the plants to figure out which one she was, but she added, "Spathiphyllum Wallisii."

"A peace lily?"

She nodded, smiling up at him with surprise when they reached the bottom of the stairs. "I'm honoured you knew that."

"I'm honoured you shared it with me." He handed her the bucket and pointed behind him. "Is it this way?"

"Yes. Go all the way down to the end of the corridor, take the first left, and then go down the stairs at the end of that corridor, and the maids' quarters are through that door."

"Thank you, Lisii." Sage left her to her job and followed the instructions. The door to the maids' quarters had a big sign on the front forbidding any men to pass through it, so Sage waited until his brother emerged from a room, tucking in his shirt. A maid followed immediately after, giggling and adjusting her apron.