Chapter 39 - Together As One

"Well," Sage said from behind the changing wall. "It's an ancient tradition to host this event and at midnight, we all snip off a Devil's Ivy leaf that's growing around the palace and put it in our hair. It's sort of like an appreciation for the plant that we base our symbols on..." Sage suddenly stepped from behind the wall. "Maybe it's an ancient tradition to celebrate your protection, but overtime that's changed because your kind became only stories!"

Taro's eyes were flickering against the orange flames in the fireplace. "I think you're right. And I bet back in the ancient times, our kind were invited to the event."

"You probably were." Sage felt a little sad at the thought. "I wish there was a way to revive this ancient agreement. It's not fair that you have to live in secret."

"That's a thought too big right now. I guess I am invited to that event, and I'm invited to protect you, that's going back to my roots. My mum would be happy."

Sage pulled on smart black trousers and waited for his belt. "When did you last see your mum?" he asked.

"I've snuck out to see her a few times in the night- before I got the guard role." Taro stood behind him, and instead of looping the belt through the front, he looped it through the back and leant into Sage, watching him in the mirror.

Sage blushed when Taro rested his head on his shoulder, close to the crook of his neck. Taro fastened the belt, but let his fingers linger. "Don't worry, the door is locked, and your curtains are drawn."

Sage tried to relax, until Taro touched his stomach and let his knuckles grace along his warm skin. "I want to give you something," Taro whispered against his neck, "like how you gave me something." His eyes had changed, they were deep and full of passion.

Sage gulped from his hot breath. "What is it?" he asked sheepishly.

"It's a kiss of gratitude for my Prince," Taro replied and pulled Sage's head until his cheek tilted against Taro's lips.

Sage watched his green eyes flutter closed in the mirror. He wanted to close his eyes too, but could he really let his guard down that much? What are you afraid of? I'm afraid of getting caught, I'm afraid of letting my feelings in. But Taro wasn't afraid. He was letting his feelings rule his actions because he liked Sage. He deserves the same attention.

Sage tried to calm down. He leaned his back into Taro's chest and turned his head to lock eyes. "Thank you," he whispered, staring deeply into Taro's dilated pupils.

"I have more to give," Taro replied just as softly. His eyes dropped to Sage's lips. "If you want it now."

Sage did want it, he really, really wanted it. In a room that was locked, and private, and closed off from the rest of the world, he had nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Taro respected him enough to keep everything in private, and when they were alone, he liked Sage enough to always show it. He made Sage feel good in every outfit, even his gardening ones. He made Sage smile even when he had a heavy mind. He made Sage stand tall in a world that only wanted him to shrink. Taro was the reason that Sage got through his days with such ease. He would have lost his mind to refuse such an offer.

"I want it."

Taro's eyes then glued to his lips, and his face moved closer. "Really?"

To show him that he did, Sage moved closer too and their lips finally met. Sage had tried to imagine what the moment would feel like. He had tried to guess whether his first kiss with another man would feel strange, or awkward, or comforting.

Their kiss was a mixture of all the emotions he could imagine. Sage stopped himself from pulling away the second their lips touched. I'm kissing another man! His heart exploded. Relax, relax, relax...