Chapter 68 - Dual Crown

Sage continued to stare at her hands as she guided them through the grand corridors and into the warm and cosy Quiet Room. The room had no Wi-Fi, TV, plug sockets or books. It was designed for socialising or sitting in silence. The space was full of couches and chairs of all sizes and colours. Those sitting on either side of the room could hear without speaking louder than necessary. Sage had once heard his father call it her room of truth. Everyone who entered to talk always left with nodding heads and straighter backs and relieved smiles.

She motioned for them to sit by the fire. Sage sat first, and Taro sat so closely that Sage had a sudden need to shuffle away, but he didn't. Sage assured himself that he no longer had to hide who he was.

Granny Dalia sat in front of them, in a sky-blue armchair with golden tassels that swallowed her small frame. She fiddled with the tassels and Sage was once again drawn to her green nails. Is it nail polish? He couldn't tell, and he didn't know if he should bring it up.

"So, my darling, how have you been coping? I imagine it hasn't been enjoyable at the Palace," Dalia said, flicking her gaze between them.

"Things have been a bit strange," Sage admitted. "The palace isn't what it used to be, at least not for me. I don't know if I should move out. Mum and dad are not making it easy for us both. They're rude and mean about Taro and his kind." He felt Taro's eyes on the side of his face.

Granny Dalia stiffened at the mention of her son being cruel. "And Oxley?"

How much does she know? "He's supportive," he says, thinking, if it suits him. Sage glanced towards Taro, knowing he was thinking the same.

"Is he," she replied. "And Haliver . . . Is he really being difficult?" Sage nodded. "Well, I raised him to be a loving young man. He disappoints me now."

Sage fidgeted, feeling as though he had dragged his father through the dirt. But he hadn't visited his grandmother to lie, he had visited for support. "I'm hoping that they'll get used to this with time."

"Well, they must because you are the future King, and you are their son."

Sage wanted to say, that's all fine and well, but they don't support who I love, and they would prefer it if I dumped him because of their disapproval. Though Sage had troubled enough people with his problems, so he said, "I hope they get used to it."

"I'll have a word with your father, if you think that would help?"

"No," Sage said quickly. "I don't want him to think that I've come here to complain about him."

"Why have you visited?"

"Because I wanted to be with a member of this family who still supports me."

"But you said that Oxley supported you."

Sage fell quiet. I'm sitting in the room of truth. Still, he resisted. "He does . . . he's just . . ." He sighed. "I just want to know who I can trust."

She nodded knowingly and turned her attention to Taro. "And you my dear, how are you dealing with all of this?"

Taro shrugged. "Okay for now. It's not easy seeing Sage's parents being so hateful."

"He means, it's not easy for him to hold his tongue," Sage added. They smiled at each other.

Dalia smiled with them. "You're not a royalist, are you?"

"I support Sage," Taro replied carefully.

Dalia folded one hand over the other. "I'm proud of my son, but the day he married into the royal family, I cried for him that night. The Greenthenors are not an easy family to be around. I always thought that Oxley was a lot like his mother, and Sage was a lot like his father. I always thought that Oxley should have been the older one- the one next in line for the throne. Although, Sage would make a much better ruler."