Chapter 51 - Blue-Sow Thistle Cottage

Prince Sage and Taro Vinea were halfway to their destination by bedtime. Sage had left like a thief in the night, not saying goodbye to his parents, nor his younger brother who had once been his best friend. Tension released Sage's chest the further up the country they travelled.

He sat next to his personal bodyguard in the back of the car, full of other bodyguards who Taro had carefully selected. They were all like Taro- plant people- who could turn into various plants and flowers. Sage was so curious, he wanted to ask each of them about their lives, but he didn't because a Prince was never too curios about the lives of strangers.

Sage no longer ached with stress, but he shuddered with sadness. Who have I become? He thought. These people will protect me with their lives, I owe them more than just my stupid curiosity. He sank into his seat, wishing to stretch his legs.

Taro, who had his chin on his palm and his elbow on the lip of the window, turned to face him when their legs brushed together. "How long?" he asked the two guards sitting in front of them, who leant to the two people in front of them, one being the driver.

"Three hours," they reported back.

Taro sank in his seat too and silently touched Sage's fingers. "Put your seat back and sleep. I'll wake you when we're almost there."

Sage declined his seat and closed his eyes. He was safe with Taro next to him, but he struggled to sleep deeply for the next few hours, especially when they started travelling through narrow snaking country roads, swaying left and right, and occasionally dipping low, just to climb higher and higher.

He was a little sick of the altitude popping his ears and wanted to grumble about the fast driving, until he sat up and saw the snow. "Oh!" he gasped, watching flakes zoom across the glass.

"We must be high in altitude now," Taro commented. "That was like flicking on a weather switch."

"Taro, can you guys . . . Um, are plant people okay with this weather?" Sage whispered.

One of the guards sitting in front turned and tried to bow his head. "We checked the weather forecast before setting off, Your Royal Highness. We brought plant pots and soil with us, so if you wouldn't mind, there may be a few mismatched plants around the cottage for the duration of your stay."

Sage smiled. "I don't mind at all, do what makes you most comfortable."

The guard offered a warm smile in return and faced the window again, watching the snow like an awe-stricken child.

They soon arrived at the cottage. The front was built of old grey stones, leaving misshapen holes for misshapen windows and a wonky but sturdy front wooden door. Sage observed the building- tiny compared to his Palace home, yet large for just one person to visit.

Orange flickering lights illuminated the snowy driveway. Sage hoped the rooms were warm and couldn't wait to have his head on a soft pillow.

The guards greeted other guards who had arrived earlier that day to make sure the building was safe and fit for a Prince. Sage didn't travel with many demands, all he asked for was that the fireplaces be safe to use and for there to be an abundance of teabags with milk.

He asked if he could help carry in some of the suitcases but was ushered inside by Taro's orders. He was sick and the wind was cold enough to steal his breath. Inside, the warm engulfed him like a hug from an old friend. He could smell what he hoped was hot food and switched his shoes for a black set of slippers, coated in warm wool.

He looked around, away from the open door. Distant memorise rushed back. Years had passed since he had visited the cottage. Now that he thought about it, their last visit had been when his grandfather was still King, and he was barely cared about by the public.