Chapter 22 - Indented Vinea

Sage scoffed. "You're unbelievable. I'm trying to be serious here. You're not doing your job well like you promised you would."

"I am being serious," Taro claimed.

Sage's frown pushed deep into his hazel eyes. "Are you on something illegal?"

"No."

"Do you even know what you're saying? That you're my houseplant?" Sage had to laugh because of the absurdity. "This is no time to joke. You're late by an hour. What were you doing?"

"Changing into my Valet's uniform because when I change, I'm in my other clothes." Taro's voice was monotone, as was his face. "And I couldn't change while you were in the room."

"What do you mean when you change?"

"When I shift from plant to human."

Sage gawked. "What's going on? Are you pranking me?"

"No."

"Then what the hell are you saying?"

"You asked for the truth and I told you. It's not my problem that you don't believe me." Taro swept blond hair out of his eyes. "Now, you said you called for me. What did you need?"

"You're up to something. What were you doing getting dressed in my bedroom?"

"I've told you the truth."

"Mister Vinea, do you know how many chances I've given you? This was your last one, and you're so close to being fired this time." Sage couldn't believe Taro was being so difficult. "Do you really expect me to believe that you're my Devil's Ivy houseplant who can transform into a human?" Sage scoffed. "Get out. I don't want to get to know you. The moment I'm back at the palace, I'm getting a new Valet."

"You can't do that," Taro said, holding his head up high.

Oh god, he's going to use my secret against me. Sage had a moment of panic and Taro didn't miss his wavering mouth.

"No, I'm not going to blackmail you!" Taro pinched the bridge of his nose. "You asked what I was doing in here and I told you the truth. Don't fire me for telling you the truth. Though the punctuality wasn't a good look, I'll admit, but you would've run out screaming if your plant suddenly changed into your Valet when you were just minding your own business."

Sage edged around him and started pacing. "Are you recording my replies?"

"Sage-"

"Tell me the truth!" Sage yelled. "Have the papers put you up to this?" His paranoia was never that far away.

"Mrs Beecham is going to kill me," Taro muttered, unbuttoning his waistcoat.

"What are you doing!" Sage yelled. "Stop undressing!"

"I'm going to show you who I am, now that I have no choice."

"I know you're a man, you don't have to show me!" Sage had backed up against the door as Taro threw off his waistcoat and unbuttoned his shirt.

Taro put distance between them. "I'm not showing you that."

When he took off his shirt, Sage paused from trying to find the doorhandle. Along Taro's arms were green tattoos of Devil's Ivy vines twisting all around his muscles with little heart-shaped leaves. The green stood out against his pale skin, and Taro softly ran a finger over a vine on his forearm.

Now that he had Sage's attention, he said, "Watch carefully."

Sage looked at the vine Taro had touched, and for a moment, he thought he saw it move. Sage blinked a few times, but movement on Taro's other arm caught his attention. The vines started twisting, circling them like a snake on a branch.