Chapter 30 - Deceptions and Espionage

"I need your help with something," Taro said as he measured the length of Sage's arm with tape. "I need repotting."

Sage lowered his arm. "Today?"

"It would help. My feet hurt."

"Your... feet?" Sage looked down at Taro's black work shoes.

"My roots are cramped."

"Oh," Sage said as though he understood any of it. "Okay well um, Mrs Beecham can help-"

"No, I want you to do it. I've seen her handling the roses." Taro shuddered and Sage couldn't help but chuckle.

"Fine, we'll do it after breakfast."

Taro smirked a little too wide.

"What?"

"Nothing." Taro wrapped the measuring tape around Sage's waist and tugged it hard enough for Sage to stumble closer.

Taro beamed and Sage rolled his eyes. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

"Of course I am. You're hot, I'm hot, and I have permission to strip off your clothes. What more could I want?"

Sage wondered how many friends flirted with each other this way. "You do not have permission to strip off my clothes."

"Isn't that basically my job description?"

Sage was getting used to ignoring his flirting, though he couldn't ignore the way it made his insides flop. "Are you sure you want me to repot you? Did you say that touching your roots was like-"

"Sticking your finger in my mouth? Yes, that's exactly why I want you to do it." Taro grinned and his eyes glowed with mischief.

"You're very intense today." Sage glanced at himself in the mirror and cursed his red cheeks.

"If you think this is intense, you haven't seen the real me, Sagerian."

"Don't call me that."

"But it's cute, and princely," Taro whispered, raising the tape measure to wrap around Sage's chest. His fingers brushed his skin. Taro's hands were cold, but Sage liked it, and almost admitted it until someone knocked on the door.

Before Sage could ask who was knocking, the door opened. "Oxley!" Sage complained as Taro immediately uncoiled the measuring tape and wrote the numbers down, as though he had actually paid attention to what he was doing.

"Brother, you're late for breakfast," Oxley sneered.

"You are too."

Oxley shrugged and flopped on the small couch by the double doors. "I'll just blame it on you."

Sage allowed Taro to dress him. He didn't stand unusually close, he didn't button his shirt from the bottom, and he allowed Sage to buckle his own belt. In the eyes of another, Taro did his job professionally.

He cares about keeping my secret. He really is a friend. Sage thanked his Valet when he was dressed, but before Taro left, Oxley asked, "Where's that plant?"

In a panic, Sage almost said what plant?

"It was brought down to the servant's hall to be watered. It will return this afternoon, Sir," Taro said politely. "Though it might need to stay in the kitchen for a day or two. Prince Sage has forgotten about it recently."

Sage stopped clenching his fists. "I'm going to the garden after breakfast. Maybe I'll get another plant too." He bit the inside of his lip when Taro tripped and almost fell against the door. "But I don't know yet. It's hard enough looking after one plant." He held his gaze with Taro as he turned to close the door behind him. Oxley was texting on his phone, so Taro dared to wink.