Chapter 64 - Coalition of Pride

Digging the cars out of the snow and bringing them to the farm took an hour. By that time, Sage was packed and waiting patiently by the fireplace. Oxley sat with him, offering him a smile every time Sage breathed deeply and fidgeted with the coat in his arms.

"I knew there was something going on between you and your valet," Oxley said, leaning back on the couch and crossing his arms.

"He's not my valet anymore."

"Your personal guard then."

Sage stared with disappointment. "He's my boyfriend," he muttered with flushed cheeks.

"When I said that earlier you looked uncomfortable. I just wanted to see if you could tell me yourself. You do realise the tabloids are going to want an interview? Maybe you'll have to say something or announce your relationship with Taro. You need to look like you're not terrified to be called gay."

"I'm just not used to it yet." Sage's entire body tingled. He still felt like everything was a dream and he'd wake up at home with Lady Liniana still pining for him, and his parents' pushing marriage onto him as well as dates with high status women.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Why haven't you told me about Patrick yet?"

"I'm waiting until we're home. Like I said, this is a topic to discuss with mum and dad too." Oxley nudged him. "Why didn't you tell me you were gay?"

"Because it wouldn't have stayed a secret with you, not when you were sneaking out all the time to get drunk and then pay people for their silence. And I couldn't tell if you would accept me or not. You have that sort of impression on people . . . if you didn't know."

"Well, I know now." Oxley patted his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. At least you're okay with it. I don't think I'd ever go home if you hated me too."

"Our parents don't hate you, they're just not happy."

"Seems like the same thing."

A car horn beeped, and the time to leave had finally arrived. Sage said goodbye to Katie and her parents. He promised that he would visit again someday, though he was glad at the thought of sleeping in his own bed.

Taro held the car door open with a welcoming smile. As soon as they were buckled up, he held his hand, remembering their journey to the cottage not long ago. Now he could rest a head on his shoulder with no fear of anyone seeing. The guards didn't care, and Oxley rode in the car he arrived in.

The journey was long. Sage had enough time to settle his nerves before entering his city. They had chosen to return on a glorious autumn day. The sun shone in a blue sky, golden leaves littered the side of the streets, and the gentle breeze was a lot warmer than the wind in the mountains.

He closed his eyes to let the sun warm his face. When he opened them, he saw familiar streets passing by. They were nearing the Palace, and his nerves stabbed at his lungs, forcing him to inhale deeply and suddenly.

"I'm a bit nervous now too," Taro confessed, leaning into him. "Can we go to your bedroom first, so I can change out of this uniform? I need some water too."

"Of course. I could do with a change of clothes." Sage focused on those pretty green eyes. I will stick up for you, he thought, hating to see Taro looking anxious.

He could see the ivy infested Palace a mile away. Its pointed roofs stuck out above the square ones. With each corner and green traffic light, they moved closer and closer to home. Yet the traffic moved slower and slower. "What's going on?" Sage asked, hearing voices through the radio after they asked to open the Palace gates.