Chapter 47 - Discreet Encroachment

"You look dreadful," Haliver commented, following Sage from the dining room. His sharp eyes dug annoyingly into the side of his face. "Are you sick?"

"No," Sage lied, "I'm just tired."

"You should really start sleeping better. Don't look tired out there, the cameras will eat it up. You know how they like to theorise why you don't look your best."

"I know, I know, I'll sleep better tonight," Sage mumbled, resisting the urge to press a hand to his thumping head. "Oh, wait!" he gasped before his father stormed off. Haliver turned with his cold blue eyes. "Can I talk to you at some point about-" Sage looked left and right. His mother lingered to listen, and the only guard around was Taro. "About why Patrick was a traitor."

Haliver visibly squirmed with discomfort. His shoulders tensed, his fingers fidgeted, and his eyes travelled the length of the grand hallway. "Maybe later."

"Why not now?"

"Because I'm busy now, and you should be too. Don't you need to help your gardener or something?" He spun in his shiny black shoes and rushed away.

Sage sighed and tried to corner his mother. "I'm sorry Sage, but a Queen is always busy. You'll know that one day when the crown is on your head." She gently tugged at one of his curls before hurrying away too, her yellow skirt whisking by her ankles as she walked. Sage watched until he and Taro were the only ones left.

"You'll have to be sterner if you want them to talk to you," Taro whispered.

Sage shivered from the breath stroking the back of his neck. They were alone in the long corridor, yet Sage felt so exposed. "I struggle with that," he replied, resisting the urge to lean into Taro. He was getting used to being around him so closely, but he was in no way ready to be caught. "Let's go to the gardens, my dad's right, I should help Mrs Beecham, I haven't helped in a while."

He pressed on down the corridor with Taro walking by his side. "You were staring at me a lot through your lunch. What were you thinking about?" Taro asked as they passed yet another empty corridor.

"Just about . . . " Sage glanced around, "about what we've been doing lately. I realised that I'm starting to care less." He glanced at Taro who smiled warmly. "I know, I'm shocked too."

"You've come so far," Taro whispered, but there were still no guards around them. He slowed down until they stopped. Taro looked behind them, and in front of them. His brow furrowed into concern. "It's unusually quiet."

Sage then realised he hadn't seen a single member of staff since leaving the dining room. "Where are all the guards?" They usually stood in symmetry in their golden uniforms. The long imposing corridors felt lonely without them.

"Why would there be no guards?" Taro asked, standing closer. "Has something happened?"

"We need to find out." Sage didn't waste a moment and hurried back the way they had walked, passing the dining room and almost jogging towards his father's office. Two guards stood outside his grand doors, both with straight backs and stone features.

"What's happening?" Sage asked one man. He wore gloves, so Sage couldn't see if his nails were green like Taro's, but when the man glanced to Taro, he saw a glint of respect in his eyes.

"Your Royal Highness, another break in happened. Guards are posted around the Palace walls," the guard replied bluntly, not forgetting to bow to the Prince.

"Why wasn't I informed about this?" Sage muttered angrily and ordered for the guards to move aside. Without knocking, he stormed into his father's office, who was leaning over his desk, discussing some important documents with his secretary.