Chapter 38 - Caress the Curls

On the day of the Wine and Vine event, Taro's new uniform was ready, but Sage had a gift to give him before he could change. "If it's too much then I can get you another one without engravings in it," Sage said, handing Taro a heavy box wrapped in green silk.

"What's this?" Taro asked, putting down Sage's tie.

"Just something you deserve." Sage pursed his lips and watched eagerly as Taro untied the ribbon. He stared at Taro's curious face as he tore open the box and carefully lifted out a purple plant pot, with an engraving on the front saying Greenthenor Guard in gold looping letters. "I know you hate the pot you're in now. And purple suits you better. I had the writing put on it, so you don't have to change your jumper all the time. It can be a part of your uniform when you're not at formal events. I have a purple blazer for you to wear when you are."

Taro looked up with big green eyes. Unable to find the right words, he pulled Sage into a very tight embrace.

"I just want to make your life easier," Sage continued, holding him just as tightly, and smiling at Taro's stunned expression, "the way that you're making mine easier." The hug was like opening a window to a cool breeze on a hot sticky day. The hug was like standing by a fire on a cold winter's night. The hug was like being held by a loved one after a week of having no time for each other. Sage melted into it. His fast heart was the only part of him that told Taro he was still nervous.

"This is really nice of you," Taro mumbled, pressing his face down onto Sage's shoulder. "When did you think of this?"

"When I put in the order for your new uniform."

"It's really thoughtful, you really didn't have to do that." Taro pulled away with a big earnest smile. "I guess I'm just always on your mind, huh?"

"Taro, you're my personal guard, you're my Valet, and you're my-" Sage tried not to chew too hard on his lip. Taro had winked at him yesterday in an empty corridor and Sage broke the skin. "Well, yes, it's kind of annoying how much I think about you, but that's because you're the first person I see when I wake up and the last... plant I see before going to bed."

Taro chuckled and said, "Good, I hope it stays that way."

Their morning routine consisted of more flirting than getting ready for the day. Sage started looking forwards to the rush of nerves clenching his heart when Taro's playful words overflowed the room. Sage's eyes dropped to his mouth, just to see his bright smile. "Let's repot you." Sage had a drawer next to his desk full of plant food and a watering can, and a bag of expensive soil that Taro liked. Simply staring at the cupboard reminded him that Taro was no ordinary person. He didn't drink anything other than water, he didn't eat anything, he slept at strange times throughout the day, his body changed depending on how long his vines were.

When Sage first met Taro, he wasn't as muscular as he was now. Taro had grown and bloomed and flourished as a person and as a human, all because Sage decided to nurture a dying house plant back to life. Taro also had more vine tattoos wrapping around his forearms, and they snaked from his fingers with such ease.

Sage's breath always paused. He wondered if he would ever get used to the transformation. But he was already used to having a Valet with an attitude that would never have made it into the building, let alone his bedroom.

He repotted Taro as quickly as he could and stood back to examine his new purple knitted jumper. In the middle of his chest read Greenthenor Guard in gold fancy letters. "It really suits you."

Taro looked down and traced the letters with his finger. "It does, doesn't it?" He turned to examine himself in the mirror. "Yes, this fits perfectly. Thank you, Sagerian."